Chapter 2- Bhaiyu

Dear Readers,

We are starting a book discussion for NAAM very soon. Interested readers can join in when the portal is made available.

Aaradhna.

Abeer stood in the messy boys' room, his frustration growing as he took in the chaotic scene. The room was strewn with video game consoles, discarded clothes, and a clutter of teenage paraphernalia. Posters of favorite bands and sports teams covered the walls, and a shelf overflowing with action figures and memorabilia spoke of their shared passion for collecting.

The twins,  sat on the edge of a rumpled bed, their heads lowered, surrounded by the mess they had created in their shared haven. 

"Aur yeh baat tum dono mujhe ab bata rahe ho? (You guys are telling me the truth now? Don't you think it is a bit too late for that)" Abeer questioned, his voice echoing with disbelief as he glared at them.

Aki and Ayu exchanged nervous glances. They had been avoiding this conversation for days, and now it was unavoidable.

Aki finally spoke up, his voice laced with nervousness, "Bhaiyu, we didn't know how to tell you, and... well, we were kind of busy sorting out... other things."

Ayu, nodded in agreement, her eyes filled with guilt. "We promise we'll not do it again. We just need your help with the issue we're facing."

Abeer couldn't help but sigh. He understood that his siblings were going through a tough time, and their untidy room was a reflection of the turmoil in their lives.

"Bunking classes is not acceptable, Ayu. What were you thinking, you idiot?" Abeer chided him gently. Aki, who had been silent until now, bit his lips, clearly perturbed. "Bhaiyu, the real problem is something else...."

Abeer's frown deepened as he sensed the seriousness in Aki's hesitation. He looked from Aki to Ayu, concern etched across his face. He had always been their protector, their savior, and the twins knew it. It was not easy to bridge the gap between them, but Abeer needed to try.

"Bolo, bacha. You guys can tell me anything. I will never be mad"

Aki and Ayu exchanged a silent glance. Their mother was too exhausted to intervene on their behalf, and their sister, Anjali, had been unwell for weeks, leaving them with no other reliable options. Roshni, their last resort, was also unavailable. Abeer was their only option.

"Aki, you guys came to me, so you decided to tell me your problem right? If you are not comfortable talking to me, you can...."

"I hacked into the school records to change Ayu's attendance record, and I got caught," Aki blurted out before he lost his courage.

Abeer's eyes widened in shock as he heard Aki's confession. "You did what?" he exclaimed, his voice filled with disbelief. Akshat dared not repeat it again. He lowered his head immediately, aware that if he had confessed the same to his his bhaiya his ears would be ringing already.

When he felt the sharp sting on his back, he merely winced. His bhaiyu was taking it a lot better than he had anticipated. 

"Demag kharab ho gaya tera (have you lost it), Aki?" Abeer yelled, his voice filled with a mix of anger and concern. "Who the hell does things like this? Samajhta kya hai khud ko tu? Kal tak to sirf humare phones hack karta tha, aaj school records... (what is wrong with you Aki. This is really not done. )This is not just wrong, Aki, it is a crime..."