Chapter 22- A war of words!

It was time to leave for the court

It was time to leave for the court. Simran had left an hour early with Abeer. The family was on the way to the court. Adarsh asked them to go ahead as he wanted to have a word with Ayaan. He had seen the boy sitting for hours with Simran. He could see the strain on his face clearly. His Ayaan was very young to be taking so much on himself.

Ayaan looked at the watch nervously. Simran had insisted on the importance of being on time; he did not wish to get late.

"Chale bhaiya?"

"Can you look at me, Ayaan?" Adarsh spoke gently. Ayaan looked up. He did not like it when his bhaiya called him Ayaan, but when Adarsh caressed his face gently, he felt instantly soothed.

"Nervous hai bacha?"

Ayaan did not answer. He knew if he said yes, his bhaiya would not let him take the stand.

"I trust you, beta. I know you can handle yourself on the stand."

Ayaan looked startled. Adarsh smiled, "Calm waters run very deep, Ayu. Sab ne tujhme tere masumiyat dekhi hai, mujhe pata hai tujhpe kitna bharosa hai. You keep things to yourself, but you are no coward. You might have never fought for yourself, but you have always stood for your family. Your loyalty, your kindness is what makes you Ayaan Goinka. I know you can handle yourself, baccha, but I want you to know that even the toughest tend to fail on the stand."

Ayaan looked nervously.

"Answer everything he asks you honestly. Truth is what is most important. Truth never fails Ayu; as long as you tell the truth, you will have nothing to worry about. No matter what happens today, I will always be proud of you, bacha. Never doubt that."

Ayaan's eyes clouded, "What if I mess up?"

"You think we have never messed up?" He held his hand and gave them a reassuring squeeze, "I don't remember much, but from what I have learned, it is obvious that I have made my fair share of mistakes. Everyone falters Ayu; it does not make them wrong, just makes them human. You do not have to worry about messing up Ayu. At your age, if you do not make mistakes, or you do not mess up, you will never learn anything in life. It's okay if you fail today. We will find another way to succeed. Every failure is a stepping stone to success. Never forget that."

Ayaan nodded his head, but he wanted to succeed. He wanted to do something right.

"Abeer told me you took the blame for a murder to save me."

Ayaan lowered his head. Adarsh made him look up, "Apne bhaiya se itna pyar karta hai?"

"You are the most important person in my life, bhaiya." Ayaan's eyes filled with sincerity, "I can do anything for you."

His love overwhelmed Adarsh. He did not know what he had done to deserve love like that, but whatever it was, he would forever treasure it. He forced the tears away and spoke gently, "Kuch bhi?"