Chapter 21- The Best Gift!

Simran waited for Ayaan to take a seat before settling opposite to him

Simran waited for Ayaan to take a seat before settling opposite to him. She wished Adarsh had stayed with her, but he simply guided the boy to her room and walked away without a word. She did not know how to deal with Ayaan, who had always been too sensitive. The entire family was protective of him, and on top of that, he was dealing with anxiety issues. She did not wish to traumatize him.

Ayaan looked up at her. She was unusually silent. His bhaiya had told him about the summons, and he did not understand why they would want him to testify. He would never betray his brother or family in any way.

"Will I become a problem, bhabhi?" he voiced his fear.

Simran sighed. He could never become a problem for anyone. He was too sweet and innocent, but his innocence could become a liability. She did not know how to tell him that.

"Kuch kaho bhabhi, please," he wrung his hands nervously.

Simran was debating how to approach him when Abeer entered their room. She was never more glad to see her husband. He had been missing all evening, but he came back at the right time. She saw Ayaan relaxing the minute Abeer stepped inside.

Abeer looked at them and frowned. He could feel Ayaan's agitation from a mile away.

"Kya hua baccha? Itna pareshaan kyun hai?" he approached him immediately. Ayaan leaned into his touch subconsciously.

"I called him to brief him about the case. He would have to testify tomorrow."

Abeer did not like hearing that, but he sat down with Ayaan. It was best to get it over with.

"It's okay Ayu, they will not be able to hurt you. You are a minor bacha," Abeer patted his back gently, "you just have to give the written statement."

"Abeer, he needs to take the stand."

"NO! He will give the statement. They will have to make do."

"Par...."

"Maine kaha na Simmi...."

"It's ok bhaiyu," Ayaan held his hand to calm him down, "Dad ne baat ke hai is bare me. He thinks I should do what bhabhi tells me to do."

"Nahi bacha....."

"I want to help bhaiyu," Ayaan cut him off gently, "Please, I have created nothing but problems for bhaiya. If I can help him in some way, I want to do it. Please let me do it."

"Will you be able to face the lawyer in court Ayu?" Abeer looked him in the eye. "Neil Mehra is ten times worse than Satya. You never had to take the stand with Abha murder trial; here, it will be different. That guy will try to manipulate your every word."

"You are scaring him Abeer," Simran tried to caution him.

"Neil will be ten times worse Simmi. He needs to know what to expect."