Chapter 25- Vaffa!

Adarsh rushed inside with Abeer

Adarsh rushed inside with Abeer. Anish already waited for him outside. He knew Adarsh would be shattered. Roshni was already falling apart; if he showed weakness, she would not be able to pull herself together.

Adarsh looked at Anish, panic shining in his eyes.

"NICU mein le gaye hain Adi," he broke the news gently, "they are saying it is meningitis."

Adarsh gasped. Abeer held his hand gently. He knew what it was. His daughter was 3 years old when they had to travel to Nigeria. Her pediatrician had cautioned against meningitis and suggested getting Ashi immunized. Even though the vaccine was typically given to preteens, the doctor advised precaution. The disease was mild in viral form, but a bacterial infection was life-threatening; his blood ran cold.

Abeer listened as Anish explained the situation to Adarsh as gently as he could.

"They are administering the antibodies through IV. Rosh is with him. You need to be strong, Adi. Kuch nahi hoga use."

Adarsh staggered. Abeer and Anish reached for him.

"Use kuch nahi hoga, Adi," Abeer made him sit, "we have the best doctors on hand. Mumma bhi hai, darne ke koi baat nahi hai."

"Haan Adi," Anish crouched before him, "darne ke koi baat nahi hai. Doctors keh rahe hain ke samay rehte he hum use yaha le aaye hain. Please get a grip on yourself. The little guy will be up soon. He will need his dad. Chal please."

Adarsh took a deep breath. He needed to compose himself. He could not do that when Abeer and Anish were so close.

"Can you two go in please, I just need a moment."

"Adi...."

"Please Abeer, just a moment. Go in. Roshni will need you more than me. Jaa please."

Abeer took a step back. He could understand a father's pain. It was not his twin taking; it was Harsh's father. He respected the emotion. He walked away without a word, dragging Anish with him. No matter how good Anish's intentions were, he would not understand Adi's pain. Adi needed to compose himself on his own. That was the only way he could deal with it. The way he had once done. No matter how many people were around you, in such moments, the pain could not be shared.

 No matter how many people were around you, in such moments, the pain could not be shared