Chapter 13

Seb's pov

"To test these hypotheses and demonstrate proof of concept for this methodology, we produced immersive-" The lecture has been going on for the past thirty minutes with the professor reading off of a PowerPoint.

Not surprisingly everything flew right through my head with my mind not even trying to process the words. I was busy concentrating on the unfamiliar weight on my finger. Despite having it on for a week, the feel of the ring still felt new and ever so distracting.

" At this point, you are gonna bore holes into your own hand,if you keep staring at it like that. " Frederic interrupts nudging my shoulder.

As his words click, I quickly hide the hand with the ring on. He makes a non committal groan at that as if he has caught me red handed.

" By the way you are staring at it with the giddy look, I might have thought it's a engagement ring. " He says making my eyes go wide. " If I didn't know better." He adds, thankfully calming my nerves.

" Don't be silly. It's a gift from mom. "

" You seriously expect me to believe that? " He pins me down with an amusing look.

" I do cause that's the truth. " I reply diverting my attention to the lecture faking non-chalance.

He grins even wider at my poor attempt at acting and thankfully just as he is about to say something, the lecturer instructs us to follow him for a demonstration. That was a close call.

Familiar guilt clutched at my heart whenever I found myself lying to him. Frederic is the only one I considered a close friend. He is the only person outside the pack. Despite the complications, he is the only human friend I managed to keep throughout the years.

I wish I could tell him everything as it is. If I had the chance he would have been the first one to call to share the news but I don't know where to start. He would be beyond confused if I told him suddenly that I am engaged to a guy. I don't think he'd have much of a problem with the latter part, I know he's a very open minded guy and would accept me anyway but the thing is more complicated.

Everyone in our world are advised against revealing our identities despite any circumstance. That's the main reason the friendships between us and humans are not fairly encouraged. So to explain to him everything it would need me to reveal my identity first and that's something I can't risk. Not just for me also for the sake of my people.

The next hour passed in a blur and then we are finally free to exit the class. Picking up my things, I rush to the door like everyone. Fred is nowhere in sight so I assumed he's already left to meet his gamer friends.

Somehow the dreadful feeling that usually consumed me after the class didn't show up. Instead my heart felt jittery at the anticipation, against my will as I searched for the familiar figure amongst the crowds. Keeping his word, Leo made a habit of Dropping me off and picking me up these days despite my protests.

When I don't find him at the usual spot he used to park, I convinced myself I wasn't disappointed at all. Fishing out my phone, I check for any intimations from him but found none, there are only missed calls from mom, multiple missed calls.

While I am no stranger to receiving two or three repeated calls from mom. Fifteen of them is almost rare unless...My mind races with the all possibilities that might have led her. I press the call back with shaking hands while I prepare my nerves for the worst.

One ring passes, two ring pass, three rings-

"Seb! hello Seb- " Her voice breaks with frantic breaths.