Catania

We had all packed, and stood staring at the pond in the meadow. That was a portal to the human world.

We could use any sort of water form, as long as it was big enough to hold your entire body. Bathtubs would work too, but dad was home, and there was no way anyone else's parents would let us go. So we had to get sneaky.

We gathered all the things you needed to power the portal. A chunk of moon stone, sage candles, and our drops of blood, to seal the portal and prevent anyone else from using it.

I also made the perfect ruse. The four of us are on a week long trip in the country side, where we found a cozy cottage. So no one would check on us.

•••
The moonlight washed over the pond, Cora and Lillian were setting up the sage candles and moonstone along  the edge of the pond.

I held a dagger in my hand, and pricked the index finger, blood trickled out immediately, I let it fall in the bowl I had bought.

Then handed the dagger to Airon. He did the same, and passed the dagger to Lillian and Cora.

Once the set up was complete, we dipped the moonstone in the blood, and tossed it in the pond. Within a few minutes, the water began swirling, making the reflection change.

It went from black to dark blue. The image was clear now. Cobblestone streets, with barely lit lamps. The entire thing reminded me of Bram stoker's Dracula.

Lastly, we had to blow the candles, to seal the spell. And we were good to go.

•••
I was expecting to feel the water, but instead I felt the humid-salty air. I could hear the street vendors, the chatter and hustle and bustle in general.

"Where do we begin? We don't even know what he looks like." Airon asked.

"Let's try the cafe's first? I'm starving." Lillan complained. She looked around for something that matched her vibe.

"Where are you going?" Cora asked walking after her.

"This looks like a great place. Let's go in." She started to go inside the cafe.

"Wait!" I stopped her "... We don't have any money."

"I don't need money. I can give them this."
She pulled out a bag of gold coins she bought from our world.

Airon took the bag from her hands and tossed it in his bag.
"Those won't work. We need human currently. They call them euro's."

"Okay then I'll get some in exchange for this."

She was determined. I'll give her that. Food makes people do weird things.

•••
Lillian came back in a few minutes, with 90 euros, and excitdly walked into the cafe.
We followed close behind.

It was a quaint space, with walls covered in vines and little mirrors, full tables. There barely was any space for us.

Cora and me went to the front, where a guy with dark hair and brown eyes warmly greeted us.

"Ciao! Cosa ti piacerebbe avere?" He asked.
"Sorry, we don't speak Italian." Cora informed slightly embarassed.

"Ah. It's okay signorina. What would you like to have?" He said in a thick accent, Winking at her.

She blushed and tried to play it off, as if his presence did not faze her.
"4 espresso's and anything else you'd recommend." I interviened.

The order came in a few minutes, the guy bought it at our table.

"Thank you... Alonzo." Cora thanked reading his name tag.

He gave her a toothy grin, and a head nod of acknowledgment.

"What city are we in, Alonzo?" Cora asked him.
"Catania, signorina." He answered.
"Okay! Atleast we're not lost anymore." Lillian chimed in.

•••
After finishing, we decided to actually start looking for Nicholas. The ancestors know where he could possibly be.

"You guy's go ahead, I'll join you later." Cora  informed.
"Why?" Airon questioned.
"No reason. I like it here. I wanna stay." Cora said sipping water.
"I'll stay too." Airon declared.
"No. You can go. I'll call if I need anything." She insisted.

Lillian understood what Cora was trying to hint at, and interrupted their conversation.

"Air, let her stay. We'll begin our job." Lillian pulled his arm.
"But-.. " He huffed.
"Come on. Let's go." I joined him on the other arm.  "Call us if you need anything." I told Cora.

"Yep. Byee! "