Plans

Lillian, Airon and I spent time searching for Nicholas. Without much progress.

First, we went to the last place Constantine was seen at in Catania. A church, but there was no Nicholas. Next we roamed the market, and the port, and the gelato shop. He wasn't anywhere in the public spaces.

Heck, we didn't even know what he looked like. It was like searching for something without knowing what we're looking for.

I guess we wanted obvious signs like overly long arms, and legs, or striking eye colour, or maybe fangs? I don't know.

•••
The exhaustion finally hit me and before I knew it I had dozed off to sleep.

***

The next morning, we began early and the four of us headed to the beach. It was one of the public spaces that we hadn't had a chance to go to last night.

This trip so far felt like a vacation and not a mission. I blame it on the weather.
Sickeningly pleasant, and warm. It forced me to go out I  shorts, which I'm completely against. But Lillian suggested I wear some to fend off the heat. I suppose she's not wrong.

We got drinks as we strolled.

"I have a question. How do we know it's him when we find Nicholas?" Airon asked genuinely confused.
"I mean we could have already met him for all we know." He shrugged.

"Guess we have to trust our instinct."

Honestly my instinct will probably get us killed, so don't trust my instinct.

I snorted at the thought.

"What's funny?" Lillian looked in my direction.
"Nothing, I'm the funniest guy I know."
She rolled her eyes, but smiled nonetheless.

She had the prettiest smile I've seen. But it was her eyes I adored. Of course I couldn't do anything about it, cause I wrecked what I had, and she'd never give me another chance after what I put her through.

•••
Numerous futile hours later, we were back in the cafe we ate yesterday.

The waiter approached our table, greeting us, but Cora in particular.

"Can I suggest some of my favorites?" He asked expectantly.
"Uh sure, go ahead." Cora answered before any of us could.

"Our lasagna, and Nepolitana pizza is best in all of Sicily."

"Alright. Get us 2 of each." Airon said a little too harshly.

I expected Alonzo to atleast look upset, but the guy was Oblivious to rudeness. He returned without any reaction.

The food came in and Alonzo wasn't lying. Weirdly enough I complemented him, which earned me a dirty look from Airon.

He seemed to hate the guy.

•••
As we began to leave, Alonzo gave each of us cannoli's.

"Cora" Alonzo called out to her. "I'm going to my hometown, day after tomorrow, would you like to join me?"

"No. She won't. We are busy." Airon said bitterly.

"Actually, can we all come?" Cora said ignoring Airon

"Cora." Airon pressed. But she continued to ignor him.

"Of course you can all come! So you all can come here at 6 in the morning, the day after tomorrow?" Alonzo asked

"We'll be there! Thanks Alonzo."

•••
After we were outside, Airon was starting to have a full blown mental breakdown.

"Why are you clinging to him since yesterday?" He yelled loudly enough to get looks from those around us.
"Do you actually like him? A lowly human like him?"

"I don't have to explain myself to you Airon. Besides, we have to go over to Palermo. And Alonzo is a local." Cora rambled angrily.

"I-" Airon began but I interrupted him before things escalated.

"Come with me Air." I dragged him by the arm away from the girls.

"What are you doing? Why are you yelling at Cora?" I asked.

"How can she willingly want to spend time with someone she just met? Why is she doing this?" He was furious.

"Why can't she? She wants to make friends, she's a friendly person. Aand she's not with anyone." I reasoned.

"That's bullshit." He answered
"Are you jealous?" I said the thought as it formed.
"What!? Why would I be jealous? I'm not jealous." He stammered.

"Right. That's convincing. You like her. Accept the fact and act on it, or she might actually get someone else, also she's right you know, a local to show us around Palermo might be useful."

"Whatever. Let's go."