Chapter 4

🍷

"What you saw tonight, didn't happen."

After you confronted Diluc of his alternate identity, he came clean about his true intentions.

"Why even lurk around during the night? It's not like anyone would bicker at you of your deeds." You said.

"Because I am always cleaning up the mess you Knights leave." Diluc ridiculed. "For example, you failed to finish off the whopperflowers above."

You nibbled at your cheek. "...I was going to deal with them after I was finished with the Regisvine."

"And what if a local happened to be passing by?" Diluc questioned.

You frowned. "I'm sure no one would come to this area this late at night."

Diluc sighed. "Still. You have to erase all dangers before you deal with the main threat."

You wanted to argue back with him, but you knew he was right. "...Fine."

He watched as you stuffed your claymore onto your back and picked up your mask.

"Any idea where the other shard may be?" You asked, pulling your hood back over your head.

"...I have some clues." He started. "But I don't want you getting involved in something you can't handle."

You scoffed, placing your hands on your hips. "I'm more than capable of taking on this task. Why else would Jean assign it to me?"

"Might I remind you of your mistake?" He said.

You rolled your eyes. "That was one little thing."

"That 'little' thing could have been a problem had I not shown up."

"But you did. Can we leave it there?"

The both of you stared at each other for a moment before Diluc looked away. "...The other shard could possibly be located in Springvale."

"Springvale?" You raised your brow. "Why would a shard end up there?"

"Reports of hilichurl camps have grown around the area. I was going to eradicate them myself tonight before I encountered you." He stated.

"Hmph." You crossed your arms. "Then let's get going."

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Diluc asked.

You turned around to look at him. You confirmed that you had your weapon and your disguise, while Diluc held onto the shard. "...No?"

He sighed. "Your mask."

You had forgotten you were still holding it. You quickly put it back on before Diluc was to scold you again for your actions.

The both of you exited the cave and walked back out in the open. It felt nice to feel the warm breeze thawing the permafrost that was covering the grass, which all meant that things for this area would return to normal.

You walked beside Diluc, gazing at your surroundings. He suddenly stopped in his tracks, making you halt.

"...We'd better call it a night."

"Huh?" You looked at him.

"...The sun is rising."

You looked over to the horizon. "What the hell... it's been this long already?!"

Diluc watched as you shook your head in defeat. "...Let's just meet outside of the city at midnight tomorrow."

You turned to look back at him. "Oh, so now I'm your partner?"