Not bad, playboy

The next Monday rolls by and as I am packing my things and getting ready to catch a ride with Olivia in my bedroom, I notice movement in the corner of my eye. Olivia is waving at me through her bedroom window. I walk closer to the window and she presses her notepad against hers.

"TODAY IS THE DAY," it reads. I shoot her a puzzled look. Today is the day for what?

She gestures for me to hurry up and meet her in the car. Once I hop in, she says, "Today, we're making it official. We have to make it look like we're actually dating now."

As we drive, Olivia outlines her plan for making our fake relationship more convincing. She suggests we upgrade the PDA to finally get the attention of both of our exes. This catches me off guard.

I squirm in my seat, suddenly feeling nervous. I forgot that relationships involve more than just flirting. It means holding hands, hugging, and more importantly, kissing.

For a moment, I get lost in my thoughts, contemplating the idea of kissing Olivia. I mean, I can't even deny that she's attractive, one of the prettiest girls in school actually. Besides Jenna.

"So, uh, are we actually going to kiss or...?" I ask

Olivia glances at me with a sly grin, taking her eyes off the road for a moment. "Why? Scared of kissing me, neighbour?" she teases, her tone a mix of playfulness and challenge.

Oh god, I can't believe I'm in this situation right now. Two weeks ago, Olivia could barely hold a proper conversation with me, and now I'm in her car discussing kissing her.

I roll my eyes, attempting to play off my nervousness. "Scared of kissing you? Please, kissing is like my second language."

That's a lie. I've only ever kissed two people: Jenna and another girl from Glendale. Kissing is definitely not my second language.

"Oh okay, playboy!" She jokes. She chuckles, her face unconvinced, "Let's see if you can live up to your words."

Just before I step out of the car, Olivia pulls me back, "Remember, we're in love, okay?" She winks.

We step out of the car, and Olivia takes my hand, intertwining our fingers. It feels strange yet oddly natural. We continue holding hands as we approach the entrance of the school, exchanging smiles and nods. People around us glance at our hands and start whispering.

Olivia suddenly stops walking, and I follow her lead. We stand by the main front door. She turns to me, and her eyes move to behind me. I'm about to turn around and see what she's looking at, but she grabs my shoulders, stopping me. "Quick, Jenna's heading this way," she whispers.

She takes a step closer to me before I've had time to process what's going on. I give her a weird look, "What are you-"

She places her hands on my cheeks and presses her lips against mine. I stand still in shock for a moment, not expecting her to kiss me as soon as we arrived at school. But once I realise what's happening, I place my hands on her waist, reciprocating. A few people around us gasp, and some horny teenage boys whistle at us.

Oh my god, it's actually happening. I'm kissing Olivia.

I remember our conversation in the car, and I put my best effort into convincing Olivia that I'm actually a good kisser. I squeeze her waist and deepen the kiss, turning my head slightly.

Why am I actually kind of enjoying this?

We make out for a good thirty seconds, waking everyone up with our full-on PDA. It's only 8 in the morning. Jesus Christ, what are we doing?

Olivia pulls away and we both stare at each other for a few seconds, our heavy breathing filling the air. I think we were both thinking of the same thing. Where the fuck did that energy come from? Maybe we got slightly carried away.

"Not bad, playboy," Olivia admits, a smirk playing on her lips. I smile triumphantly.

Olivia's eyes moves back behind my shoulder, her expression satisfied, "We DEFINITELY got her attention" she laughs, "You should've seen her face!"

What is she talking about? Oh yeah, Jenna.

Oh my god, Jenna just witnessed me engaged in a full-on make-out session with the school's most popular girl. A wave of guilt washes over me, not for Jenna seeing us, but for the unsettling realisation that I was actually enjoying myself. I didn't even look at Jenna.

What did I get myself into.

--

"Okay, why do I keep hearing everyone say that you were all up in Olivia's throat this morning?" Isa nudges me as we walk towards Olivia's table - our table - for lunch. Isa and I have been sitting with them the whole week and we've sort of officially joined their squad.

I smile, recounting that moment this morning. We seemed to grab the attention of the whole school and we've become the topic of the day. Our plan was working.

Isa studies my face, "Oh my god, it's true isn't it?". Her expression becomes offended, "What the fuck Y/n, you were making out with Olivia and I didn't get to see it?" She jokes.

I laugh and playfully shove her. "Shut up, Isa".

She continues to tease me until we sit down. Taking my seat next to Olivia, I suggestively raise my eyebrows in a playful greeting. Olivia looks at me and rolls her eyes, a smile playing on her lips. As we chat and laugh with Olivia's friends, I catch glimpses of Jenna from across the room. She seems to be engaged in conversation with her boyfriend, Alex.

Surprisingly, Jenna must have felt my eyes on her because she glances back at me. We make eye contact, and for the first time since I've moved back here, I feel like she's acknowledged me. She keeps a neutral facial expression, and after a few seconds, she looks back to her boyfriend.

SHE LOOKED AT ME. IT'S WORKING.

I shoot Olivia a look with my eyes, silently asking, "Did you just see what I saw?" She responds with a proud look, as if she's saying yes.

Olivia keeps the act going, leaning in to whisper things in my ear that make me blush. Isa, Conan, and Iris seem amused by our banter, and I play my part, grabbing her hand and intertwining our fingers.

Halfway through lunch, Olivia's phone buzzes in her lap, and she lets go of my hand to open her notifications. Using her knee, she nudges mine, diverting my attention from Conan, who was excitedly telling us about a movie he watched over the weekend.

"What's up?"

"Y/N, oh my god, it's working. Josh just texted me," she whispers and subtly points her screen to me.

I lean in to read the message, and it says, 'since when did u and new girl start dating?'

New girl? The fuck? I have a name, also technically I'm not even new here. Of course, Josh wouldn't remember me from three years ago. What an asshole. A smirk plays on Olivia's lips as she types a response, 'since when did u care?'

"He's buying it," she grins, showing me the reply.

My heart races and for some reason I start to feel irritated that Josh is texting her. Why is he texting his ex-girlfriend when he's sitting right next to his new current girlfriend literally in the table across the room. He doesn't deserve either girl.

I try to calm myself down. This is part of the plan, isn't it? To get Olivia and Josh back together. Why am I getting so worked up?

We continue the act for the rest of lunch, with Olivia occasionally checking her phone for updates from Josh.