I wish you were a boy

The next few days at school, I act normal with Olivia, except I began avoiding all unnecessary PDA from her. Instead of holding her hands, I'll hold my books to my chest and cross my arms over them. When Olivia tries to initiate a kiss, I'll turn my head slightly so that her lips land on my cheek instead. Sometimes, she'll give me a weird look, but I brush it off quickly and make an excuse to go to my classes.

The rumours were true: Josh and Maya have split.

Sometimes I catch Josh talking to Olivia in the hallways. I'll immediately walk in the other direction and find Isa to distract my mind from the feeling of my heart cracking.

Josh and Olivia would be getting together soon and I needed to start accepting that I needed to stop whatever I was feeling for Olivia.

To make things worse, Jenna was avoiding me. Everytime I try to talk to her she makes up an excuse that she has to go somewhere or she'll fully walk in the other direction when she sees me coming towards her.

There's another party on Friday night that the whole school has been buzzing about. But this time, it wasn't at Alex's house. It was at Josh's. Our lunch table decided to go to the party together.

At first, I was hesitant because I wasn't sure how I was going to handle seeing Josh stealing my girlfriend. But then I realised that this may help me finally let go of Olivia. Plus, its a party and I so badly need to unwind.

--

Friday night arrives, and Isa and I are getting ready in my room. Isa helps me pick out an outfit and does my makeup. I can tell she's putting in extra effort to cheer me up, knowing that I'm feeling down over the whole situation with Olivia and Josh, as well as Jenna avoiding me.

I'm grateful to have Isa by my side.

I managed to convince my mom to buy drinks for us so that we could pregame at my house. It surprised me that she said yes, but I think it's because she still feels guilty for lying to me before. I reassured her that we would be responsible and ensure that we knew our limits.

A few drinks in, I start to feel a light buzz. I'm happy that the alcohol is starting to kick in, knowing that there's no way I would survive this party sober.

Isa grabs her bottle and raises it to mine, "Cheers."

I smile, remembering the night of the first party I attended with her at Alex's house, "What are we cheers-ing to this time?"

We both laugh, recalling the last cheers was to me moving on from Jenna. Why does it always seem like I'm hung up on someone I can't have?

"Let me guess, cheers to me moving on from my neighbour, who is also my unrequited love?" I say jokingly.

Isa laughs, "You sure do have an interesting life, Y/N."

I clink my bottle to hers and take a long drink. I want to make sure that I am loose and tipsy before we get to the party.

From the corner of my eye, I see movement. I turn to see Olivia pulling back her curtains in her room. She smiles, looking at me, then writes something down on her notepad.

This has become our regular way of communicating through our bedroom windows. It's really just like the Taylor Swift music video. I find it cute, considering we could easily just text each other instead.

Olivia puts her written message up against the window, "CONAN'S HERE! LET'S GO!!!" it reads.

I shoot her a thumbs up, and Isa and I make our way outside after saying goodbye to mom.