I don't eat cereal

The next day, in the hallways, I catch Olivia talking to Josh. They are both looking at each other with smiles on their faces. I can't help but feel the jealousy building up within me. I ball my hands into fists, forcing myself to look away.

Olivia still hasn't addressed what happened on Friday. On top of that, she's been talking to Josh a lot more lately. I've been doing what Isa advised me to do - act normal and wait for her to bring it up first.

But our car rides started to be filled with awkward small talk, and her bedroom curtains were closed a lot more often. The only times I ever really talked to her were in her car or at lunch when we were with the others. Even in English she acts like she's too focused on her work. It was starting to piss me off and most times I don't know if I want to scream or cry.

I slam my books inside my locker out of frustration.

"Someone piss in your cereal, Y/N?" a voice next to me teases. It's Jenna.

"I don't eat cereal" I mumble.

"Don't worry, she's been like this a lot lately" Isa walks to the other side of me, placing her arm around my shoulders.

"PMS?" Jenna asks

Isa shakes her head, "MOS"

"What is MOS?"

"Missing Olivia Syndrome" Isa bursts into laughter

Jenna looks down, trying to hide her laugh. I immediately glare at Isa, mumbling profanities, and I reach my arms out to hit her but she screams and hides behind Jenna, using her as a shield.

"Come here you little bitch"

"I'm sorry! It was just a joke"

Jenna starts laughing out loud now. Isa still crouching behind her. Looking at the scene in front of me reminds me of our old friendship, and I can't help the small smile creeping up on my face. I missed this.

--

I come home feeling exhausted, the whole situation with Olivia makes me feel sad and I just want to crawl in my bed and sleep. As I walk through the front door, I see an unfamiliar pair of boots next to my mom's shoes. When I look up, I see my mom sitting on the dining table with a man next to her.

"Hi sweetie, how was school?" My mom smiles

I raise my eyebrow at her, "It was fine...?" I shoot her a look, silently asking who that man is and what is he doing in our house.

My mom gestures to him, "This is David. I met him at one of the AA meetings. He's going to be my sponsor. I just invited him over for some coffee"

Oh so this is the guy she's crushing on.

The man stands up from the table. He's quite tall, and well dressed. He's pretty handsome too.

He walks up to me, extending his hand out, "Hey, Y/N. It's nice to meet you. I hope you don't mind me coming over"

I smile and shake his hand. He's polite and friendly. He seems like a pretty good catch. I catch my mom looking at us with a nervous smile.

"No, I don't mind at all" I glance at mom behind him, who's smiling and subtly waves her hand in her face as if she's fanning herself.

I try not to laugh, "Come over anytime, David."

"Well, I actually have to go now but thank you Lauren for inviting me over." He smiles at my mom, "I hope we can do this again sometime soon"

My mom walks him to the door, "See you at our next meeting?"

He turns to my mom, "Of course, see you soon"

I catch them looking at each other a little too long, and I force myself to look away to avoid pulling a face.

He turns to me, "Nice to meet you again, Y/N"

"Bye David!"

David walks out of the door and my mom watches him get in his car and drive off. Once she closes the door behind her we both jump and squeal at the same time.

"He's cute, mom!" I smirk, excited for my mom

"I know right! He's got a stable job, and he divorced a few years ago."

I pull a face, "Someone's in loveeeeeee"

"Oh shush, it's too early to say anything," she walks to the kitchen, washing the coffee cups that her and David were drinking from.

"Speaking of love....how are you and Olivia?"

Immediately my face drops. "Oh yeah, I need to do my homework" I start to walk up the stairs

"Y/N..."

I turn to face her. "It's complicated right now" I say, not wanting to get into details.

"Aww no, did you two fight or something?"

"No no. Don't worry. We've just been super busy so... we've hardly had any time to see each other, you know?"

"Oh, perfect! Jennifer invited us over for dinner on Friday. You'll get to spend time with each other then!"

Oh great.

I put on a fake smile, trying to seem excited, "Looking forward to it!"

I walk into my room, and crash into my bed. I glance at my window, wondering if Olivia has closed her curtains again. To my surprise, she has left them open. She's laying on her bed, talking on the phone, smiling and laughing.

I bet she's talking to Josh.

I feel a string tugging at my heart again, and I walk up to my curtains and shut them. Then I faceplant straight into my bed, and bury my face in the pillow.