Go cry to Josh about it

Jennifer made some sort of chicken stir fry with rice and it was the only thing keeping me going through this dinner.

I keep my focus on my plate for most of the night, trying to eat slowly so that they would think my mouth was too full to talk. Olivia, who's sitting across from me, does the same.

"So how was school today, Y/N?" my mom asks, everyone diverting their attention towards me.

"It was fine" I try to say as nonchalantly as possible. This felt like the longest dinner of my life.

Olivia's dad, Chris, buts in with a conversation about the recent events happening around town and the rest of the attention on the table moves towards him.

I sigh with relief. I steal a glance at Olivia, but she avoids eye contact, either looking at the others on the table or on her own plate.

Throughout the night, we only exchange a few words when necessary like "Can you pass me the tissues". Theres a very heavy tension on our side of the table but I'm not sure if it's just me and Olivia who felt it or if our families were purposefully ignoring it.

When everyone's plates were empty, Jennifer asks Olivia and I to do the dishes while the grownups continue their conversations over the dining table. It was a normal routine of our dinners over at the Rodrigos but usually Olivia and I would be talking and laughing while washing the dishes. This time, we were in complete silence.

As I'm drying the plates that Olivia hands me, I contemplate about whether I should start a conversation. This is so awkward, I hate it.

Thankfully, Olivia breaks the silence, "So how's your stomach?"

I look at her puzzled "What?"

"Isa said you had a sore stomach. That's why you weren't sitting with us at lunch today"

Oh shit, that's right, I told Isa to cover for me today.

"Oh yeah. It's better now. I think I just like...ate something bad yesterday." I manage to get out. Real smooth, Y/N.

"Liar"

"What?"

"I made that up. Isa said you were talking to the teacher about your assignment." Olivia puts down the plate in her hands and turns towards me, her eyebrow raised.

Fuck.

"Okay yeah. You caught me" I admit, avoiding her eyes.

"Were you with Jenna?" her tone bitter

"Yeah I was"

"You've been spending a lot of time with Jenna huh" she mumbles, washing the last dish in the sink.

What the fuck? Why is she attacking me when she's been talking to Josh. I'm getting pissed off now.

"So what if I was? You're too busy getting cozy with Josh"

Her jaw tightens, a mixture of frustration and hurt flashing in her eyes. "You think I'm cozying up to Josh?"

"I saw him sitting with you guys at lunch," I retort, trying to keep my voice steady.

She sighs, her voice starting to rise. "He just happened to sit there. It doesn't mean anything."

Olivia storms off upstairs. I quickly finish drying off the last plate and follow her. She walks into her bedroom and before she can shut the door behind her, I push it open and walk inside her room. I close the door behind us.

"What, are you gonna avoid this conversation too?"

Olivia glares at me, "What the fuck are you talking about, Y/N? I'm not cozying up to Josh"