sleeping beauty

Olivia and I lay on her bed, wearing face masks, as we laugh and debrief the events of the night.

"Did you see his face when I ordered the lasagna for you? And when you were like, 'You know me so well,'" she clutches her stomach, "He was so pissed."

"Nah, but when he asked if you were a lesbian. Like, what the fuck was that?" I burst out laughing, and Olivia agrees. It was such a ridiculous thing to say.

Once our laughter dies down, I remove my sheet mask, realising it's been 20 minutes since we put them on. Olivia does the same.

Sitting up, I turn towards Olivia, the atmosphere transitioning to a more serious tone. I study Olivia's face, and she opens her mouth as if she's about to speak, but then shuts it quickly.

I raise my eyebrow at her, "What?"

"Nothing, I..." She looks down, fidgeting with her fingers, "Thanks for doing this with me, Y/N. All of it. Even the double date... I could tell that you weren't really keen before."

It was my decision. I don't blame Olivia for any of it.

"Anything for my fake girlfriend," I smile, reassuring her. "Besides, it's working, isn't it? Josh was really jealous."

Olivia meets my eyes, and I notice a flicker of something in her gaze. "Yeah, he was. But it's not just about making Josh jealous. I... I appreciate you being there for me. It means a lot."

Yeah it means a lot to me too.

Olivia sits up suddenly and takes a deep breath. "Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you and Jenna."

To be honest, I haven't even thought about Jenna for a while. With my feelings for Olivia plus the whole situation with my mom, I'm not even sure if I still like Jenna anymore.

"Maybe we should go on a double date with her and Alex too," she says jokingly.

I'd rather just go on a date with you.

"What?"

"What?"

"What did you say just now?"

Oh shit, did I say that out loud?

"Nothing."

Olivia gives me a skeptical look, her eyebrows raised. "You definitely said something. Spit it out."

I try to play it off with a casual shrug, "Anyways, Maya's actually cool, right?" I change the subject.

She narrows her eyes at me but doesn't press further, "Yeah, she seems nice. I feel bad that Josh isn't treating her the way she deserves."

I hope he didn't treat Olivia that way when they were dating.

"What did you see in him anyways? No offence but from what I gathered during the dinner, he doesn't seem like he'd be the best boyfriend"

She lays back down on her bed, turning to her side. I lie down next to her, turning to my side so that we're facing each other.

"He's not as bad as you think. He's a lot sweeter and caring when it's just us two. He was my first everything. I felt like he was with me through such a big part of my life. It can be hard to just let that go, you know?"

I think about Jenna and I nod understandingly. "Yeah, I get that. First loves have a way of holding a special place in your heart."

"Relationships can be complicated, huh?" Olivia says, her eyes slowly blinking.

I chuckle, my eyes growing heavy as well, "Tell me about it."

Fake or real, they always find a way to mess with your head.

We continue talking throughout the night, and eventually, we fall asleep next to each other.

--

The morning sun gently illuminates Olivia's room. I wake up and I find Olivia still peacefully asleep beside me.

Wow, sleeping beauty for real.

Knowing that I have to get ready for school soon, I quietly slip out of bed, careful not to disturb her, and make my way downstairs. I can't believe I slept in Olivia's bed, in the same clothes I was wearing yesterday.

As I pass by the kitchen, I find Olivia's mom, Jennifer, preparing breakfast.

"Oh, good morning, Y/N!" she greets me with a warm smile. "Olivia didn't tell me you were sleeping over."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to. We lost track of time, and I just fell asleep," I smile sheepishly.

"Oh, you're welcome over anytime. Olivia adores you."

There's that feeling in my stomach.

I say goodbye to Jennifer, explaining that I had to get ready for school. As I walk into my house, I see my mom leaning on the kitchen counter, a mug in her hand.

"Hey, sweetie. Did you just come home?" She tilts her head, her expression slightly worried.

"Don't worry, I slept over at the Rodrigos"

"I'm glad you and Olivia are getting close."

"Yeah..."

Close. If only you knew about Olivia and our weird fake relationship.

I remember last night's conversation with Maya, "How was work last night?" I pry, not making it too obvious.

"Oh, the usual. Late-night shifts are always so tiring," she says casually.

Liar.

"I can imagine. You've been working a lot of late nights lately," I remark, trying to keep my tone neutral.

"Yeah, it's just been busy at the diner."

Maya said it's practically empty during late nights.

I look at the time on my phone, realising that I should start getting ready before I'm late. I decide to let it go this time

"You working late tonight again?"

"Yeah, probably. Sorry, sweetie. Don't wait up for me okay?"

I fight the urge to press further, not wanting to expose the fact that I know she's been lying.

"It's okay, Mom. Take care of yourself."

She gives me a quick hug before I head upstairs to get ready for school.