im not sitting there bye

Throughout the rest of the week, the distance between Olivia and I seems to keep growing and it's slowly driving me insane. It feels like the only times she acknowledges me is during lunch when we sit together or when I hop into her car on the way to school and home. The rest of the rides are just awkward silence with the music playing in the background.

On the bright side, Jenna, Isa, and I have formed a closer bond. It's not exactly the same as three years ago but it was nice that we were able to laugh with each other every now and then.

During chemistry, Jenna takes a seat next to me instead of her usual seat which was on the opposite side of the room. She leans in closer while the teacher has their back turned to us.

"There's rumours going around that you and Olivia broke up. Is it true?"

Olivia and I have rarely spent any time with each other so it wasn't a surprise that there were rumours going around. I wonder if Olivia knows about them too. Jenna still doesn't know about the whole fake relationship thing. She knows just as much as the rest of the school.

Not knowing how to respond to her question, I just shrug.

Jenna studies my reaction for a moment, her eyebrows furrowed in concern. "Hey sorry if that's too personal. I didn't mean to pry."

I manage a weak smile, attempting to brush it off, "It's okay Jenna. Don't worry about it"

"If you ever need to talk, I'm here. Friends, right?" She smiles and I smile back.

"Thanks. How are you and Alex?" I ask, genuinely curious because I haven't seen them together in a while.

"I broke it off with him. I never really liked him. He's not my type"

I raise my eyebrows, moving back slightly, "Shit... you okay?"

She looks down for a moment, a small smile on her face, sighing and dropping her shoulders, "Yeah I'm fine. My mom wasn't too happy about it but I feel so much better actually. Like...a huge weight is off my shoulders"

I try not to let my face falter as I realise that she was probably forcing herself to be with Alex for her parents.

"You deserve to be happy, Jenna."

She looks at me and gives me a sad smile.

Once the bell signals lunchtime, I walk out of the class and head towards the cafeteria. From afar, I spot my regular lunch table with Isa, Conan, Iris, and Olivia. However, there seems to be a new figure sitting on the table with them. It's Josh. And he's next to Olivia.

Oh hell naw.

I glance at Isa who's facing towards my direction. She subtly shoots me look that says 'what the fuck?'

Nah, I can't do this.

I pull out my phone to text Isa.

___________________________________________________

bestie 👹

im not sitting there bye

bitch wtf is going on

don't leave me here

pls cover for me

seen

___________________________________________________

I quickly turn around to walk in the other direction, hoping that the others haven't seen me, until I bump into another figure. It's Jenna, and she's also looking at my regular lunch table from afar, "Yikes."

I roll my eyes, "I'm not sitting with that douche. Wanna have lunch with me?"

"Sure"

--

Jenna sits across from me with her sandwich in hand, her eyes widen and her jaw drops, "Wait what? It was all fake?" I nod.

I felt that I could tell Jenna about my whole fake relationship situation with Olivia because I knew she wouldn't judge. I also want to reinforce my friendship with Jenna. She's known me for almost my whole life so I trust her.

"But what about all the kissing and stuff?"

"All acting. Well, at least on her part, I think"

"Yeah that's some good acting, then" she mumbles with a sarcastic tone.

It feels kind of awkward talking about this in front of Jenna, but I feel a huge relief as well.

Jenna looks down for a moment, she opens her mouth to say something but closes it immediately. She shakes her head, pushing air out of her nose.

"What is it?"

"Nothing, I....nothing. So, what's your plan now?"

I release a deep sigh, "I don't know. I'm supposed to be having dinner over at her house tonight" I place my head into my palms and groan. This is gonna be a really awkward dinner.

I haven't talked to Olivia all day besides our morning car ride. This is the first time in a long time that I haven't sat with her at lunch. I cringe as I realise that what I've just done will probably make things even more awkward.

I look at Jenna, "Do you think you can give me a ride home?"

--

___________________________________________________

neighbour <3

hey dont wait up for me after schl!

jenna is giving me a ride home

oh ok

___________________________________________________

I step out of Jenna's car, close the door, and lean on the window, "Hey thanks again for the ride. I owe you one"

"Anytime. Have fun tonight" she smirks. I roll my eyes.

I walk into my bedroom to pass time and wait for the dreadful dinner that I have to face later. I look over at Olivia's bedroom window and see that her curtains are closed. I close mine too.