I thought I could handle it

The rest of the day passes by slowly, in each class I was lost in my thoughts. It's only Tuesday but this has felt like the longest week of my life.

I'm glad that Jenna was finally able to talk to me. But it felt like our conversation was unfinished, and that I didn't really receive the closure that I wanted.

I think about my situation with my mom again and my mood dampens.

I was in English sitting next to Olivia. I could tell that she noticed my mood because she was staring at me for most of the period. But I ignore it and continue doodling in my notebook, not even having the energy to annoy her.

When the bell rings, signalling that class is over, I pack my things and walk out of the classroom. Olivia follows me to my locker. I open my locker, shoving my unneeded textbooks inside. Olivia grabs my hand, and my heart skips a beat.

I look at her. She looks at me with pity on her face, her lips pulled into a pout, "Why is my baby so sad?"

I laugh at her attempt to cheer me up, trying not to blush. I could get used to her calling me baby.

"Sorry, I've been a killjoy this whole day. There's just been a lot on my mind" I say avoiding her eyes.

"I saw you talking to Jenna earlier... how did it go?" she asks, biting her lip and playing with my fingers nervously.

"It went okay, actually. She explained to me why she's been avoiding me. It all makes sense now."

"Oh, that's great! We're one step closer to achieving our goal."

I agree with her, hiding the fact that I don't even know what my goal is anymore. I really miss Jenna but I don't even know if I want her back.

"How are things with your mom? Did you get a chance to talk to her this morning?"

I sigh, "She lied to me again. She said she's coming home late tonight."

"I just don't know what she'd be doing, you know? I wish there was some way I could find out without confronting her."

Olivia pauses for a moment, then her face lights up suddenly, a mischievous glint in her eye. "I have an idea, but I'm not sure if you're gonna like it..."

--

Olivia and I meet outside her driveway, dressed in dark clothes to blend in the nighttime, as planned.

I can't believe I'm about to stalk my mom.

Olivia takes out her car keys, about to step inside her car. I grab her arm to stop her and shake my head no. We have to be more discreet. I grab my bike, walking with it towards Olivia. She looks at me dumbfounded.

"My mom would recognise your car from a mile away."

I hop on the bike and gesture for her to sit behind me, "This way we can be hidden in the dark, and we can take the alleyways".

Olivia hops on behind me, snaking her arms around my waist. Immediately I blush, feeling the butterflies in my stomach. I mentally scold myself, pushing aside the embarrassment of Olivia holding such power over me.

Get a grip, Y/N. This isn't a date; it's a mission to spy on Mom.

As I cycle towards the diner, a light breeze blows on our faces. Every now and then Olivia adjusts her position, pressing her front closer towards my back or giving my waist a light squeeze every time we go through a bumpy part of the pavement.

Maybe I should ride to school with Olivia on my bike so she would hold me like this more. Just kidding.

As we approach the diner, we park the bike a bit away, ensuring it won't attract attention. It's 5:55pm, just five minutes until her shift ends, according to Maya.