what's your biggest fear?

Olivia drops me off home after school, and I spend the rest of the afternoon eating what's left in the fridge and then taking a fat nap. I wake up around dinnertime, and to my surprise, my mom hasn't come home yet. She told me earlier that she would be home around this time.

___________________________________________________

mom <3

where r u?

delivered

___________________________________________________

I take out one of the frozen meals from the freezer and examine the box. Frozen lasagna meal. I pop it in the microwave and sigh, reminiscing about the first dinner we had over at the Rodrigo's. I miss it so bad - Jennifer's cooking of course.

After dinner, I check my phone. 8 pm. No replies from mom. Hmm, maybe she's taking someone's shift and working a late night.

I walk back to my bedroom and start doing my English assignment. After a good five minutes of studying, I feel the boredom take over. Suddenly, anything and everything else other than my homework becomes interesting.

I look over to Olivia's bedroom to see what she's up to. She's sitting on her bedroom chair, one leg up with a book in her hand.

I grab my notebook and marker and start writing. I jump and wave like an idiot, trying to catch her attention. Her eyes are too focused on her book.

I take out my phone and turn my flashlight on and off repeatedly. This catches her attention, and she faces towards me. I push the notebook up to the window to show her my message, "I DIDN'T KNOW YOU CAN READ :O"

Olivia glances over and catches my message. She lightly chuckles and puts her book down. She grabs a notepad and a marker and writes, "I'M FULL OF SURPRISES :)". I smile in response.

She turns the page in her notepad, starts writing again, and then presses it to the window: "021-XXX-XXXX." Simultaneously, she makes a 'call me' gesture with her hand.

I type the number into my phone and press call. After the first ring, she answers.

"You know, neighbour, if you wanted my number, you could've just asked," I tease, a suggestive tone in my voice.

Olivia chuckles on the other end of the line, and I immediately smile. I'm starting to get used to hearing her laugh. It's so much better than the bored expression she used to give me all the time.

"Oh, shut up. You're lucky to have my number on your phone. You better change my contact name to something cute."

"Alright, how about 'my fake girlfriend'? Sounds cute, right?"

Olivia laughs again, and I see her throw her head back through the window. She has such a pretty laugh. Haha, I mean that in like a friendly way, of course.

She lies down with her back on her bed, with her phone pressed to her ear. I do the same. We continue bantering for a bit as I stare at my ceiling while talking to Olivia. I start to wonder why she decided to give me her phone number all of a sudden.

"So, why did you want me to call you?"

"Actually, it was your note earlier, when you said you didn't know I could read. It made me realise that we actually don't know much about each other."

I reflect on what Olivia said and realize that it's true. I really didn't know much about her, aside from the superficial details I've gathered during our dinners at her house, like when she moved to Westview. That and the fact that her favourite Taylor Swift song is 'Picture to Burn.'