That's Not Mine

Shivani is a middle-class girl. She is living alone in an apartment while her parents are living in a village. She is 25. Working in a Publishing house called The Pigeons. She is a member of the group that writes investigative articles and individually she has written a book called THE REBORN JUSTICE. In the firm, she has a good friend Raqesh. She calls him Raq. Raqesh treats her like his sister.  Her parents are not very happy about Shivani choosing a writing career but they always supported her.

Presently, she is sitting in a conference room while the finance head of their firm explaining the annual budget report to the members.

Shivani's POV :

"So yeah that winds up the discussion. This year we've done great. I just hope this continues. Thank you and Good day.", the Finance head is done with his report.

"Their profits were increased by 20% but our salaries were increased only by 8%. There should be a limit to hypocrisy dude.", Raq said while we were packing our things to get out of the firm as it was the weekend.

"An 8% percent increase gives you a rise of almost 25,000 rupees per month. Be less greedy Raq.", I said trying to pacify him.

"You spend less but that doesn't mean everyone does it. Unlike you, I have a girlfriend.", he retorted.

"Eww. I'm straight. I don't want a girlfriend. ", I said with a disgusted face.

"Don't change the topic. You know how I mean it. When are you going to leave this more than the required single life?", he said giving a deadpan look.

"Yeah. Whatever. What are your plans?", I asked trying to change the topic.

"Nothing much. I and Geetha are going for lunch with her parents tomorrow. And I'll just probably sleep in on Sunday. What about you?", he asked.

"Nothing much. Same old stuff. I'll attend the writers club gathering on Sunday.", I said as we entered his cabin.

"Well if that's the case, I have something to keep you occupied.", he said and started to look for something in his locker.

"No thanks. I know what is your something. Keep it to yourself.", I said and was going to leave his cabin.

"Pleaseeeeeeeee. Pretty please.....", he started singing the please song. He always does this because I can't ignore him.

"You always do this year Raq. Why don't you give it to the editing team? I'm a writer for god sake. But you always make me edit your books.", I said irritatedly.

"You know I trust you more than any of them. Moreover, you are my lucky charm. So why not?", he said and handed me the file. I know. He trusts me more than anyone. I smiled and took the file.

"You should pay me for this.", I said, and we started moving towards the lift.

"Well. Be less greedy Shivi.", he said with a mischievous grin. Idiot.

"Oh shit. I forgot the gift I bought for Geetha in the cabin itself. I'll be back.", he said and is going away.

"My cab is waiting. I'll go. Bye.", I said.

"OK bye. The papers are not stapled.", he said while I pressed the ground floor button.

"I'll do it. No problem.", I said while the door was closing.

My office is on the 15th floor of this massive building. I'm in the lift and my phone rings flashing Uber. I took the call and started giving him the directions. Soon I was on the ground floor and walking towards the exit. I was walking hurriedly and some idiot bumped me and things in my hands fell. Papers from Raq's file are all scattered on the floor. That man didn't even say sorry. I started picking all the papers one by one.

A man in a formal white shirt and biscuit-colored pants started picking the papers from the other side. I looked at him when I suddenly felt his movements were stopped. He sees the paper in his hand. I'm confused about what that paper has. I took all the papers from the ground and went near him. I stood in front of him and he looked at me raising his head. He is still in the sitting position.
He is so good-looking. Oh my god, he has the same stubble that I always imagined. I was admiring his features but he stood and gave the paper to me. I took the paper while he was controlling his smile.

I smiled at him and said thank you. I turned and looked at the paper in my hands. Oh shit. This is the smut scene from Raq's new novel. This is why he was controlling his smile. What does he think of me? I turned and looked at him. He is going inside the lift.

"Hey. It's not mine.", I shouted. The doors of the lift closed but I saw his smile. It's beautiful. Urghhhhh. Raq, you are dead.

I went and sat in the cab. Soon it started its wheels and I started my journey to my home.

Raqesh's POV :

I took the gift and started leaving the office while my best friend, my brother from another mother presented himself in front of me. He is freaking smiling. WTF. The Dev Narayan is smiling.

"Am I hallucinating?", listening to me he came out of his trance and made his famous robot look.

He raised his eyebrows. "I just wish god to teach you the alphabet so that you can talk like normal people do.", I said and we started to go to the ground floor.

"Very funny.", he spoke and I chuckled. I asked him to come because I gave my car for servicing. We sat in the car and left for the apartment where we lived. We live in different flats but in the same apartment. His flat is on the 1st floor while mine is on the 18th.

Our parents are friends and partners in the business. They stay in Ahmedabad while we live here in Hyderabad. We have been friends since childhood. We made a pact that no matter what our careers were, we would stay together in the same city. And here we are. Our characters are the opposite. I'm easygoing and funny while Dev is difficult and serious. His job demands that but he made it normal in his life.

We reached the apartment and he went leaving the car to me. I'm going to meet Geetha. We were students in our post-graduation. I thank god for making me choose English literature. It was love at first sight for both of us and I did not take much time in expressing it. I proposed to her on our fresher's day and we started dating. 3 months ago we talked to our parents and they agreed. They are planning our engagement in 15 days.

I entered our regular cafe and there sat my angel in a Maroon top and Jeans.

"Hi, angel.", I said and she immediately turned to see me.

"Hi, babu.", she said and hugged me. We sat there and talked for a while.

Dev's POV :

I came back. I went and had a shower. When I went back to my bedroom I saw the jar on my side table. Raq gave me this jar when he was leaving for his PG. He asked me to drop a 500 rupee note in this when I felt my day was special. Looking at the empty jar I'm sure that I didn't even have a single special day. It is another normal day and another normal night. I go, treat, come back, sleep. It feels like a cycle. It's beautiful but also suffocating. Maybe today I might break my routine. Her embarrassing face is worth watching. I must keep a note.

I put a 500 note in the jar and started making some dinner for myself. I ate and slept. But again her face flashed in front of my eyes. I smiled again.