Come With Us

Dev's POV:

"What's this Dev?", The directory of the hospital I'm working said aloud.

"My resignation.", I said with a calm posture.

"I know that. What I don't know is why you want to resign. Did you get any other offer from another hospital? Tell me. I'll double your salary. I'll do whatever you want. You are the best neurosurgeon in the city and I can't lose you.", he said worriedly.

"No, Mr. Poddar. You are already paying me more than I require. It's not about money. And I did not get another offer.", I said.

"Then what?", he asked irritated.

"I would like to take a break. Free from my career for a while. I winded up all my present patients and also informed Dr.Sinha to attend to the cases from today.", I completed.

"I know it must be stressful. Take a break and come back to me. The hospital needs you, Dev Narayan.", he said.

"I'll see Mr.Poddar but I can't guarantee you.", I said and left. I'm driving toward the apartment. The events from last night flashed in front of me.

Flashback

Shivani said she needed to leave early and left the venue. I went after her as if my legs had their mind. I saw her waiting for a cab at the entrance of the function hall. She saw a girl sitting on the pavement and went towards her. I followed and stood afar.

"Hey, what happened?", Shivani asked that girl. She looked like she was in her early 20s.

She shook her head but did not answer. Shiva I asked again and then the girl said, " Nothing. I'm having a bad day at my office."

"Don't we all have bad days sometimes? Let it go. It's okay.", Shivani tried to pacify her but she increased her sobs.

Shivani sat beside the girl and gave her a water bottle.

"I know but how long? The guilt inside me is adding fuel to my helplessness.", the girl said.

"Is it okay if you share with me what your problem is?", Shivani said with a genuine voice.

"I always wanted to be a singer. I attended a lot of workshops and got trained. But my family is not okay with it. They say art doesn't feed you. Money runs this world and the corporate job is the easy way to earn more. I agreed. I've been doing this job for 6 months and every day I feel like I'm doing something that makes me more vulnerable than I was yesterday. This feeling is so bad.", she said and started crying profusely.

Shivani hugged that girl and said, "Hey. Don't cry. It's okay. Maybe they need your financial help. That's why they asked you to do this."

"They don't. Our family is well settled. It's just they don't understand my love for singing. They think it was just my hobby."

"Then make them understand."

"I tried but.."

"You didn't try enough."

The girl looked at Shivani and said, "Maybe. But I just feel so lifeless. I don't know what to do.", the girl sounded so defeated.

"Umm. I have an idea and it will help you come out of that inner turmoil. Wanna know?"

"I am ready to jump from a plane if it brings me peace right now."

I smiled. I also need to know that idea. I guess. Shivani also smiled and started saying, "Take a leave for 3 or 4 days. Call your parents and say you are going out of the station for some office work. If you have friends in your life who don't judge you for whatever you do, then take them with you. If you don't have people like that, then go alone.