chapter one : brink's little ballerina

"Dad?" Jade calls out as she walks through the foyer of her home. Finally back from her trip to New York working with Courtenay Fortney for two weeks. She puts her bags down by the stairs as she hears her dad in the kitchen making a bunch of noise.

Jade lets out a giggle seeing him in his robe making pancakes

Jade lets out a giggle seeing him in his robe making pancakes. The whole kitchen was a mess, looking like a tornado went through it. "Dad...." Jade called out watching him jump in surprise and turned to see his daughter.
"Geez, J. You're gonna give me a heart attack." He exclaims with a smile on his face and pulls her into a hug. "How was your flight?"

Jade wraps her arms around Brink sighing, "Dreadful and I think Courtenay's beginning to grow on me."

"Don't let her hear that, she'll barge through the front door asking you to sign a five-year movie deal." Brink jokes going back to the stove to grab the last pancake.
Jade sits in her chair at the breakfast table and Brink joins her as they have their yearly tradition of having a pancake breakfast before the start of the new school year.

"You know you're doing pretty well with the modeling and the ballerina stuff... You sure you want to continue at Godolkin." Brink asks taking a sip of his coffee.

Jade stops mid-bite turning to him confusion strewn across her face. "Dad, we've had this conversation already. I like going to school and being around other people like me. Having the college experience you boast so fondly about." She says reassuringly

Brink sighs and holds her hand that was outstretched on the table. "I'm just worried. I'm getting old... you've grown into a strong woman. I won't be able to protect you from the dangers of the world." my world he thinks to himself

Jade rolls her eyes, "I know how to protect myself...use my powers, you made sure of that. I don't get involved with any of your work. I'm just another student who goes to school and works their ass off."

Brink gives her a look not convinced and Jade sighs. "I know what being at Godolkin means and being able to go there is not an opportunity a lot of kids with my past have. I am extremely lucky to have the great Rich Brinkeroff, best-selling author and famous professor as my dad."
Brink stares at her blankly.
"Plus imagine the headlines when Professor Brink's daughter drops out before her junior year." Jade points out listing valid reasons. She waits for him to say something when his lips curve in a small smile.

Jade smiles brightly picking up her fork again. "And you're as healthy as a horse. We still have a lot of time together Dad."

Brink chuckles watching her scarf down her chocolate chip pancakes. Still, the same little girl who would go crazy over them when she was eleven years old.

•••

After having breakfast with her dad, Jade left to go on campus to unpack and get her day started before the new students came for move-in day. She unlocks her door entering the suite she's roommates with Cate. Jade walks towards Cate's room knocking on the wall and sees it empty and the bed neatly made. Jade shakes her head smiling knowing she's probably sleeping at Luke's, like she is most of the time. Jade unpacked her suitcase, changed out of her clothes, and grabbed her pointe shoes and gym bag before leaving.