chapter twelve : botttom of the bottle

Jade sat outside in front of the performing arts center. The dance studio was occupied and didn't have an opening for the next couple of days. She was stressed, her morning was filled with meetings and talking to professors about missing assignments.

 She was stressed, her morning was filled with meetings and talking to professors about missing assignments

Jade's separation from the others did not go unnoticed by her classmates and other students around campus. All of them speculating why she was alone and not with her usual crowd.

Leaving everyone behind back at Dusty's lifted a huge weight on her shoulders. Did she feel bad for leaving? Should she have left a long time ago?

The only things that she processed from being trapped in Cate's head was that Brink was an asshole, her 'friends' are assholes and she got to relive one of the worst days of her life.

Was she angry? Did she feel bad for what Brink did? Did she want revenge... for Luke? Did she want to help them with their suicide mission? What does she want?

Jade thought back to the meeting she had a few hours ago.

*

Jade waited in a coffee shop a few miles from campus. She looked around at the other people in the shop reading, working, chatting with friends... blissfully unaware of all the shit that was going on right under their noses. The bell above the entrance chimed as Ashley Barrett walked in.

"You're late." Jade spoke softly as Ashley sat in the chair across from her.

"Tsk. Tsk. I'm a busy woman Russo, you of all people should know that." Ashley smiled as the barista put down a cup in front of her.

Jade cleared her throat, "Why did you want to meet? You usually don't bother with college students, much less in person."

Ashley rolled her eyes and pulled out a worn-down manila folder. "Enough with the melodramatic shit. Here."

Jade's face remained stoic as she picked up the file and opened it. Looking at the documents and statements that corroborated Brink's involvement with her family from over a decade ago.

Ashley waited, sipping her latte... as Jade flipped through the stack of papers.

She saw a picture from that night and closed the file, "Why now? What do you want in exchange for this." Jade asked locking eyes with the CEO of Vought.

"I know you're a smart girl, resourceful too. Brink was good at covering his tracks, but I have better people. So now that he's dead and you've obviously figured out what he's been doing at your school... I see no reason not to hand over the final piece to the puzzle.
Pretty fucked what happened to your parents. Your dad left the opportunity to become a part of something big. However, you on the other hand..."