Chapter 4: Tales and Lessons

Hey Shining Star! (⁠つ⁠≧⁠▽⁠≦⁠)⁠つ

I dedicate this one to You. 

Happy Birthday Sweet Soul! Be always healthy and happy! ❤️❤️

Pat

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jungkook walked out from the abandoned house full of ghosts and blood which only the walls remembered.

Jimin was standing near the car, resting his hands on the car bonnet. Surprisingly still. He had closed eyes. But his breathing was steady.

'I feel better...' he said quietly. 'I feel better knowing it wasn't just my mind...'

Jungkook slowly sat on the steps leading to the porch and was looking at him, thoughtfully. Jimin stubbornly wasn't looking at him. But, oh well, he didn't have to. Jungkook would say what he decided to say either way.

'Usually they would just tell you that vampires exist and teach you how and when to kill them. Their usual behavior pattern. Most hunters didn't see the real deal vampire even once. They deal with youngsters. Newborns. Idiots, stupid enough to get killed... I won't tell you the standard phrases...'

'What will you tell me then?' Jimin choked out.

'The truth. There are a lot of legends. Some are beautified... The oldest one, the one which is considered the truth, is a bit more ugly... This legend says that Hekate - the goddess of witchcraft - endowed a group of selected men and women with extraordinary gifts. She gave them superhuman power, strength and beauty. She trained them to fight. They were an elite army of Olympus, tasked with protecting the divine houses and blessed mortals.'

Jungkook's voice was casually telling the story. But he knew Jimin listened.

'One of the gods, the beautiful God of Sun - Apollo, fell in love with one of the female warriors, Kassandra. He seduced her and broke Zeus' prohibition. To make her stronger, protected before his father he did something forbidden. He gave her a taste of divine blood.'

Jimin turned to look at him.

'She became even less human... More animal-like. Apollo's blood made the girl addicted to this one liquid and she started killing the people she was supposed to protect... Apollo, in fear of his father, hid her. However, Zeus found out anyway. His fury shook the foundations of the world. His wrath targeted the celestial army and, despite Hekate's pleas, started to kill them one by one. And then he was met with a surprise...'

Jungkook kept looking at his hands, but he sensed that Jimin was listening carefully to him.

'When he raised the thunder to exterminate Kassandra, the lightning bounced off the invisible shield around the girl. Apollo's blood made the girl immortal. Zeus then placed a curse on her. She could never see the sunlight again. She could not meet her lover... She grew fangs and became a predator. Kassandra became more animal than human. An extremely dangerous animal. The most dangerous predator on earth... The remains of the celestial army were cursed as well. Then their mother, Hekate - hid there under her wings. The wings of the Night. She took care of them. First was Kassandra... She forced her to remember her human side. To revive her spirit from the ashes of bloodlust...'

Jungkook stood up.

'Kassandra was the first vampire. A being doomed to a nocturnal existence, overwhelmed by the eternal need for blood and the first defender of humanity...'