Chapter 3: Chains of Gold

Akali's phone buzzed with another message from Kayn. She hesitated, then opened it. A link to his band's latest track, with a simple message: "What do you think?"

She listened, and it was good. Really good. But the weight of her own experiences made it hard to enjoy. She thought of the older musicians, their warnings echoing in her ears.

She typed a reply, her fingers trembling. "You're talented, Kayn. But be careful. The industry... it's not what it seems. You're crazy if you want in on this."

His response was almost immediate. "What do you mean? You're living the dream! Look at you, with K/DA, with all the fame and money!"

Akali took a deep breath and began typing a response, her fingers hesitating over the keys. She wanted to warn him, to protect him from the pitfalls she had experienced. The record deals that seemed too good to be true, the pressure to maintain a certain image, the debts that piled up. But how could she explain it all without shattering his dreams?

Meanwhile, Kayn was spilling his heart out, telling her all about his new indie rock band and their struggles to make a mark. He begged her for advice, for a way to navigate the treacherous waters of the music world.

Akali settled for a vague warning, hinting at the challenges and advising him to be cautious.

But Kayn's reply was swift and bitter. "You think you're better than me now? Just because you're in K/DA?"

Akali leaned forward, typing swiftly. "It's all a facade, Kayn. They lure you in with promises, make you spend, make you owe them. And then, they own you."

Kayn's disbelief was palpable. "You're just trying to scare me off. I thought you'd be happy for me."

Akali stared at the text, agonizing over what to say next. But the damage was done. The rift between them grew wider, and Akali felt more alone than ever.

"Forget it," Kayn responded. "I'll show you. I'll make it big, with or without your help."

Akali stared at the screen, tears blurring her vision. She had lost her friend, and the weight of her fame and the industry's darkness bore down on her. How could she get through to Kayn when she herself was trapped in the very web she wanted to save him from?