Chapter 5: Breakdown

The neon lights of the city reflected off the windows of Akali's penthouse, casting a soft glow over the room. She sat on the floor, surrounded by scribbled lyrics and discarded beats. The weight of her recent confrontation with Silco pressed heavily on her mind. She needed allies, and she needed them fast.

Picking up her phone, she dialed Ahri's number. The line rang a few times before Ahri's voice, tinged with exhaustion, answered. "Akali? It's late."

"I know," Akali began, her voice urgent. "But we need to fight back against Silco. We can pay back the loan, break free from his clutches."

There was a pause, and then Ahri's voice broke, "Akali... I can't. You don't know what he's capable of. What he's done."

Akali's heart sank as she heard the fear in Ahri's voice. "Ahri, talk to me. What happened?"

Ahri hesitated, then whispered, "He's a monster, Akali. He'll do anything to get his way. When I was just starting out, he did things. Mind games, experiments... Things I can't forget. I still have nightmares."

Akali felt a rush of anger. "We can't let him continue this, Ahri. We need to stand up to him."

But Ahri's resolve was shattered. "I can't, Akali. I just can't." Her voice cracked, and Akali could hear the tears. "Every time I close my eyes, I see him. I hear his voice. I remember what he put me through. I'm broken, Akali."

The call ended, leaving Akali in silence.

Before she could gather her thoughts, her phone buzzed with a new message. It was from Evelynn. The text was intense, the words sharp: "What the hell did you say to Ahri? She's a wreck. You need to back off."

Akali's fingers hovered over the keyboard, uncertainty clouding her thoughts. Before she could type a response, another message from Evelynn appeared: "I'll handle Ahri. She needs someone who understands, someone who's been through the same darkness. K/DA will endure, but healing takes time. Ahri needs her space, and you, my dear, need to learn discretion."

Akali took a deep breath, the weight of Evelynn's words sinking in. She had always admired Evelyn's protective nature, especially when it came to Ahri. She replied, "I'm sorry, Eve. I didn't realize how bad it was. Let me know if there's anything I can do."

Evelynn's response was swift: "For now, darling, distance is the best remedy. And perhaps, a touch more thoughtfulness in the future."

Akali leaned back, the gravity of the situation settling in. She had to make things right, not just for Ahri, but for all of K/DA. She had been so focused on her own battles that she hadn't seen the signs.