Chapter 20: Leap of Faith

The old church was a stark contrast to the glitzy world Akali and Kayn had left behind. Its wooden pews creaked, and the stained glass windows, though dusty, painted the floor in a mosaic of colors. It was quiet, save for the occasional rustling of pages as Kayn delved into the book Akali had handed him. Akali peered over his shoulder, still wrapped in the blanket.

"Listen to this," Kayn began, a smirk on his face, "'For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.' Well, that's reassuring. I'm not the only screw-up."

Akali grinned. "Never thought I'd see the day where you'd be quoting scripture."

"Never thought I'd see the day where you'd hand me one," Kayn replied.

Thehours passed peacefully and, as the golden light of evening filtered in throughthe stained glass, their discussion deepened. They wrestled with concepts ofredemption and faith. Akali, ever the sceptic, would often challengeinterpretations, while Kayn, surprisingly, found solace in the words.

As the sun's last rays filtered through the windows, Kayn looked up from his reading, "You know, this talks about redemption that's unconditional. No matter how messed up you are. Think there's a chance for someone like me?"

Akali, leaning against a pew, smirked. "If there's hope for you, there's hope for anyone."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence" Kayn laughed bitterly.

Akali walked over, her expression softening, "Look, if there's one thing I've learned from all this, it's that maybe it's not about being worthy. It's about accepting something bigger than ourselves."

He raised an eyebrow. "Getting philosophical on me now?"

"Guess so," she admitted.

The weight of their journey, the battles they faced, seemed a little lighter in that moment. They laughed, they debated, and sometimes, they even tried to pray until the stillness of the church was broken by a low, rumbling growl.

Kayn shifted uncomfortably. "I was trying to tough it out but I guess I'm hungrier than I thought," he admitted, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Hungry for redemption or just a burger?" Akali asked, her eyes glinting with mischief.

Kayn chuckled. "Maybe a bit of both. But I guess I'll settle for the burger for now."

Akali stood, her posture all business. "Alright, drama king, let's get you fed before you start quoting Shakespeare. But we need to be discreet."

Kayn raised an eyebrow. "What happened to the Akali who'd dive headfirst into trouble?"

Akali let her hair down and slipped into an old jacket from the Lost and Found box. "This isn't a game, Kayn. We're in real danger here."

He sighed and accepted the plain coat she offered him, exchanging it for his flashy leather jacket. "Sorry. I know I've been a jerk. It's just... easier to hide behind the sarcasm."

"I'm sorry too," she told him seriously. "For ghosting your texts. For not reaching out when you needed me. I left you no choice but turn to Silco."

As they prepared to venture out, their phones buzzed with incoming messages. Glancing at the screens, they saw a barrage of texts from their bandmates.

Kayn looked at Akali, a hint of his old sarcasm returning. "Seems we're popular tonight."

"We can't respond to anything," Akali whispered, her voice tense. "Not until we're sure of who's really behind those messages. It could be Silco."

Kayn nodded, the gravity of their situation evident in his eyes. "First, food. Then, we figure out our next move."

As they prepared to leave, Kayn hesitated, his hand reaching out to the Bible he'd been reading. He tucked it under his arm, a silent acknowledgment of the strength he hoped it would give him against Rhaast.