Chapter 13: Final Warning

The Golden Riot Awards venue was a sprawling complex, glittering with lights and adorned with banners of the two bands set to face off. Fans from both sides had camped out for days, hoping to get the best spots to witness the epic showdown.

Inside, the atmosphere was electric. Celebrities, reporters, and music industry bigwigs mingled, but all conversations inevitably circled back to the impending face-off. The backstage was a flurry of activity. Makeup artists, choreographers, sound engineers, and stagehands rushed about, ensuring everything was perfect.

K/DA had their own dressing room, a spacious area filled with mirrors, costumes, and makeup. Akali sat in front of a mirror, adjusting her gold-streaked hair. Evelyn was discussing last-minute changes with the choreographer, while Kaisa practiced her dance moves. Ahri, looking every bit the leader, was on the phone, likely discussing some last-minute details.

Akali's phone buzzed. It was a message from an unknown number: "Stage left, five minutes. Alone."

She hesitated for a moment, then typed back, "Okay."

Slipping out unnoticed, Akali made her way to the designated spot. She found Kayn leaning against a wall, his red hair gleaming under the dim lights. They locked eyes, the weight of their shared history hanging between them.

"You came," Kayn remarked, his voice neutral.

"I had to," Akali replied. "We need to talk."

Kayn chuckled, "Now? Minutes before our big showdown?"

Akali took a deep breath, "Kayn, this... rivalry, it's tearing us apart. We used to be friends."

Kayn looked away, "That was a long time ago, Akali. Things change."

Akali stepped closer, "Not everything. Look, I know we've both said things, done things... but deep down, we're still those kids who shared dreams and music."

Kayn straightened up. "This is the path I've chosen, Akali. Heartsteel is my future. I called you here to tell you I won't be holding back. I'm going to put you in your place once and for all – and once I'm at the top, you're done."

Before Akali could reply, a stagehand interrupted, "Five minutes to showtime!"

The two exchanged one last look before heading to their respective stages.