Chapter 15: Chasing Shadows

The night was cool, with the city lights reflecting off the wet streets. Akali, her heart racing, quickly revved up her motorcycle. The roar of the engine echoed in the quiet alley as she sped off, keeping the limo carrying Kayn in her sights.

The limo weaved through the city streets, taking unexpected turns and shortcuts. It was clear they were trying to shake off any potential followers. But Akali was determined. She knew the streets of the city like the back of her hand, and her motorcycle gave her an agility that the limo couldn't match.

As they sped through the city, memories flooded back to Akali. Memories of simpler times, when she and Kayn would race through these very streets on their bicycles, laughing and carefree. The weight of the present situation pressed on her, but she pushed those feelings aside, focusing on the task at hand.

After what felt like hours, the limo finally pulled up to a grand mansion, its gates adorned with the emblem of Silco's record label. Akali parked her motorcycle a safe distance away, watching as Kayn was quickly ushered inside by his handlers. In their haste and preoccupation, they neglected to secure the gates properly, leaving them slightly ajar.

Taking a deep breath, Akali approached the mansion, using the shadows to her advantage. She needed to find a way in, to talk to Kayn, to make things right.

As she neared the mansion, she overheard rising voices. Peeking through a window, she saw Silco in heated discussion with Yone.

"You promised he would be under control!" Silco hissed, his face red with anger.

Yone, ever the calm presence, replied, "He's just a kid, Silco. The pressure, the expectations, it's too much."

Silco scoffed, "He's an investment, Yone. And I expect returns on my investments."

Akali's blood boiled. To Silco, Kayn was just another pawn in his game, another artist to exploit for profit. She needed to get Kayn out of there.

Akali found an open window in an adjacent room and slipped in, her heart racing with urgency. She knew they had only just arrived, so Kayn couldn't be far. Moving swiftly, she relied on her instincts, honing in on the faintest sounds of distress. Subtle cues led her through the opulent hallways, avoiding guards and staff, until she found the room where Kayn was being kept. The door was slightly ajar, and through it, she heard a faint, despairing sigh that she recognized instantly as Kayn's.

She quietly entered, finding Kayn sitting on a lavish bed, his face buried in his hands. He looked up, surprise evident in his eyes. "Akali?"

"It's me," she said, rushing to his side

"It's me," she said, rushing to his side. "We need to get you out of here."

Kayn shook his head while staring at the floor. "It's too late, Akali. I'm trapped."

Akali's determination flared. "No one's trapped as long as I'm here. We'll find a way out, together."

Kayn looked at her, his face pale, a stark contrast to the vibrant, confident artist she once knew. The weight of their shared past and the challenges ahead pressed down on them. But before Akali could say anything more, Kayn's voice broke the silence, filled with a mix of fear and resignation. "You don't get it, Akali. They've changed me. There's something inside me, making me do things, say things... they're going to come back for me any minute now. You need to get out of here."

Kayn's fingers fumbled at the collar around his neck, frustration evident in his movements. "Whose damned idea was this thing anyway?"

Akali, despite the gravity of the situation, smirked slightly. "I didn't think it suited you either."

She moved closer, her nimble fingers working to undo the clasp. As she did, Kayn reached up, his hand finding hers. Her heart skipped a beat as their eyes met, a moment of tense connection amidst the chaos. His hand was hot and clammy, trembling with a mix of fear and something unspoken.

"Look, we need to go." She gave his hand a reassuring squeeze then tossed the collar and leash aside, motioning to the window. "We can escape together."

But before Akali could make another move, a deep, unfamiliar voice echoed through the room.

"We're not going anywhere."

Akali's heart raced as she scanned the room, expecting to see one of Silco's goons. But the room was empty, save for her and Kayn. Her eyes darted back to him, confusion evident on her face. "Kayn?"

The voice that responded was not Kayn's. It was deeper, more sinister: the voice from the music video. "I am Rhaast. Kayn's better half, you might say. And I have no intention of going anywhere with you."

Akali took a step back, realization dawning on her. "What have they done to you?"

Rhaast chuckled, a sound that sent shivers down Akali's spine. "Kayn sold his soul to get back at you. He belongs to the industry now. And the handlers will be here soon enough to ensure he stays that way."