every step of the way (part 7)

Keira Walshs POV:
Lucy was laying asleep next to me, the time being 2:40am. I kept tossing and turning all night, trying to distract myself from the slight pressure i was feeling in my lower stomach. There was no way this was happening. Not now. I wasnt ready nor was I prepared. I didnt want to wake Lucy, since shes been suffering with broken sleep because of me, so i pull myself out of bed and make my way downstairs. I decide to put the kettle on, having to hold onto the counter to steady myself and relieve the slight pain. The pain wasnt intense at all, ive had period cramps worse, but it was noticeable. This pain came in waves around 15 minutes apart, so there was no point in going to the hospital when they would just send me back, plus id rather wait out the pain in the comfort of my home, when its just Lucy and i. The best thing for me to do right now was for me to get some rest, as i knew it could be several hours, maybe even days till our daughter arrives, which scared me slightly. I make my way over to the sofa, placing a blanket over me and turning on the TV, making sure the volume is quiet as to not wake up my sleeping girlfriend in the room upstairs. She had been amazing throughout this whole journey, even when ive given her every reason to get mad at me, she never did. God that woman has the patience of a saint, i was so fucking lucky. I use my hand to rub the stretched skin of my stomach, as an attempt to ease the slight pang i felt every now and then. 'Moving a lot tonight arent you.' I whisper to her. It would be weird having her here in the world when shes been physically connected to me all this time, but i was so excited to meet her. My eyes wonder to the show i was watching on the TV, when i suddenly hear footsteps coming from the door. Turning my head, im met with the sight of my girlfriend, who was rubbing her eyes tiredly. 'You okay Luce?' I ask her, as she sits down next to me and rests her head on my shoulder. Her hand moves to my stomach instinctively, and i press a light kiss to her head. 'Why aren't you in bed, its cold without you' she mumbles, melting further into me. 'Couldnt sleep, i didnt want to wake you' i say, moving my focus back to the TV. 'Are you okay? Is something happening?' She asks me worriedly, sounding more awake. 'I think so, but it's too early to do anything so dont worry.' I reply, trying to put her at ease. 'Should've woken me up' she says, giving me that look. 'You deserve the sleep, and you have training tomorrow. Besides its not too painful, just feels like period cramps.' I reassure her. 'No way im going training tomorrow.' She says, sounding protective. 'Lucy its okay, I'll ring you if something happens.' I say, trying to change her mind. 'Are you dumb. Im staying home and your not changing my mind.' She demands stubbornly. 'Okay then, get under the blanket and go back to sleep, it could be a long few days.' I say, lifting the blanket up. 'You get some sleep too, or atleast try' she says, laying below my bump resting her head on my legs. 'I will. Promise.'

4 hours later:
Its safe to say that things where definitely progressing, with the pain in my lower stomach becoming more frequent and intense. I was currently hunched over the bed, with my forearms resting on the mattress, gently rocking from side to side trying to make the pain slightly more bearable. Lucys hands where rubbing up and down my lower back, trying to support me the best she can. Once the pain stops, i let out a breath i didnt realise i was holding. 'Has it finished baby?' She asks me, her hands still on my lower back. 'Yeah it has' i mumble, tired from the tension my bodys been under. She kneels down next to me, and places a hand at the back of my head. 'Your doing amazing, im so proud of you.' She says, kissing my temple. 'Im so scared Lucy, its only going to get worse.' I admit, my voice trembling and the tears threatening to fall. 'Hey, its going to be okay. I promise i wont leave your side, just tell me if there's anything i can do to make it easier for you.' She say's supportively. Im so glad she didn't go to training today, i didnt realise things would progress so quickly. 'Can you keeping rubbing my back? That was helping.' I ask her, getting a kiss on the cheek. 'Ofcourse i can.' She replies, standing up and reverting back to her original position. 'By the way your doing this if we ever have another, this is not for me.' I joke trying to distract myself from reality. 'Even in labour your sarcastic, typical.' She laughs. I dont have the time to reply before another round of pain hits, causing me to wince which alerts Lucy that im having another contraction, and she goes back to her previous action. This was rough, but I still wasnt far along enough to actually go to the hospital, but all i wanted was that damn epidural. The thought of not being in pain was enough to make it sound like heaven, cause i was definitely in hell. Ive never felt pain like this, but i just had to tell myself it would all be worth it when our daughter was here, every second that passed was a moment closer to meeting her, and I couldn't wait.

Lucy Bronzes POV:
I was exhausted, and i wasnt even the one going through it all. I couldnt imagine how tired Keira must be, it was extremely hard to see her in so much pain. She was currently downstairs, whilst i was making sure we had everything packed and ready to go. Majority of the things we needed where packed, but i was just adding things like her charger and my laptop. A pang of guilt hit me leaving her downstairs knowing she was in so much pain, but i knew she'd kill me if i left anything. I rush downstairs with the bag, and see Keira hunched over the sofa as she had been when i left her. 'I think we've got everything, we'll get in the car once this contraction passes, alright?' I say, but she just sticks her thumb up In reply. Surprisingly, she was awfully silent, her face was just rested in her forearms, probably holding in the screams she wish she could release. Her lifting her face up signalled it had passed, so i helped her stand up and wiped the stray hairs out of her face. 'You ready?' I whisper, admiring her beautiful face. 'No, but who is.' She replies, looking quite terrified. 'You've got this.' I say kissing her forehead, then taking her hand and leading her out to the car. We did have to stop once, as the pain returned once again. I let her wrap her arms around my shoulders, and gently placed my hands on her waist, rocking her side to side. Once it went, we continued our journey to the car, and I opened the door to help her climb in. I then placed the bag in the boot, and got in the drivers seat. The next time I was home, id be returning with my child, it was such an indescribable feeling.

Arriving at the hospital was a bit of a blur. There was a lot of rushing mixed with me arguing with anyone that got in our way, but we eventually made it to the delivery room. Keiras pain was only getting worse, she practically begged for the epidural as soon as she walked into the room. She was immediately handed gas and air, as the nurses and i helped her get get changed into the hospital gown. Once she was dressed, we sat her upright so she could receive the epidural. I was knelt down infront of the bed, facing her, and her arms were wrapped around my neck. 'Alright my love, are you ready?' The nurse asks, Keira shaking her head In reply. 'Okay. 3,2,1.... And thats it.' She says, giving Keira the injection in her back. Keira let out at 'Ow' whilst receiving it, the first noise she'd made all day, but other than that took it like a champ. 'Give it 15 minutes and you should start to feel a shift in pain. Ill come back in a few hours to check how far along you are, but if you need me before then give us a shout and we'll be right down. For now I'll give you some privacy.' The nurse says, giving us a soft smile even though Keira was faced the opposite way leant against me. 'Thank you...?' I pause, realising I didn't know her name. 'Tilly' she says. 'Ah right, thank you Tilly' i reply, and she walks out the room leaving us together. I start to feel Keira shake against me, and then i can feel my shoulder growing wet. 'Kei whats wrong??' I ask, rubbing my hand up and down her back. 'It hurts so bad Lucy, so so bad' she cries, as in full on sobbing. 'Oh baby i know, but the medicine will kick in soon okay? Not much longer just hold on for me.' I reassure, handing her the gas and air. Little did we know that there would be no change in pain, and it would only get worse.

Authors note:
-😜