i dont want to leave

Lucy Bronzes POV:
Living in Barcelona was like living in paradise. The weather, the food, the football, and most importantly the people. The people who ive met here are some of the most genuine people ive ever come across. Which made leaving so much harder.

My contract was ending this summer, and it had been decided that i wouldnt renew. I would retire back in the WSL, returning to Manchester City for my final professional years. Im glad that out of all the teams, it was Man City I would be transferring too. Somehow i always found myself drawn back to it, but i wasn't complaining. It was home after all. However the last two years in Barcelona have been the highlight of my career. Winning the Euros for the first time in history just after signing, 2x Supercopa champions, league champions, and my fourth champions league title. I love this club. Even though its not my 'home' club, the fans, the players, the staff have been nothing short of incredible, and it was going to be so hard to leave them.

Leaving Barcelona, also meant i was leaving Keira behind too. She was in the form of her life, whilst i was exiting mine. It was only right she stayed here and progressed to her full potential, which i knew she could do, even without me here. When we first transferred, she was absolutely terrified. The language barrier constantly making her life 10x more stressful, and the new style of play hard to get her around. She second guessed herself so much at first, but as time went on she only blossomed more, and now she was a regular starter, and one of Barcelonas key players. We had obviously spoken about the possibility of myself leaving, but she always responds with 'we will cross that bridge when we come to it, lets just focus on now.' Well, now we had to face the truth. I was leaving. I was leaving her behind and it killed me inside. We had survived long distance before, previously when i was at Lyon, but this time it felt different. There was a high chance that we would never play at club level together again. That chapter of our lives were closing, a new one opening. It was a bitter sweet feeling.

One of our favourite things to do was to go down to the beach at sunset, and watch the sun fall below the horizon, displaying all its colours onto the sea as if it was a painting. The air had a slight chill to it, so we always came prepared with blankets and appropriate clothing. Currently, we were doing just that. Admiring the natural beauty of the world, with my beauty tangled in my arms. We sat in silence, simply soaking up the experience together. But i knew i had to tell her. I couldnt hide it from her. It was time to face reality.

'This is my happy place Lucy. You and me together, watching the sunset. It doesnt get much better than this.' she begins, breaking the silence between us. 'It really doesnt get much better than this.' i reply, holding her closer to me as if she was going to disappear right before my eyes. We fell back into comfortable silence, and i was just becoming a nervous wreck. Overthinking every possible outcome of this conversation and imagining the worst case scenarios. But eventually i did it. 'Keira- i have to tell you something.' i splutter out nervously, my hands slightly shaking ontop of her slightly bronzed skin. 'i already know your leaving Luce.' she says as if its the most casual thing ever, not breaking eye contact with the sky. Im at a loss for words. I hadnt told a soul i was leaving yet, how on earth had she found out? 'How?' i gently ask, unsure of what direction this conversation would take. She sits up and turns to look at me, showing me a soft smile. 'You've been tense all evening, and i know only one things been on your mind recently. Your future.' she admits, placing her soft delicate hand on my cheek. 'Where are you going?' she then rips the bandaid off, slightly holding her breath. 'Back to the WSL. Man City want me back.' i admit, which takes her by surprise. 'City again? Wow they must really love you.' She half jokes, letting out a light chuckle. However i was doing the complete opposite of laughing. Before i could even stop it i felt a singular tear roll down my cheek, causing her face to frown in concern. 'Why are you upset luce?' she questions, wiping my pain away. 'I dont want to leave. Im happy here. Leaving Barcelona means im leaving you again.' I admit, looking down at my lap. 'We've survived long distance before, we can do it again. We're older now, and i know for sure your the person i want to settle down with. We're a lot stronger now than we was before.' she reassures, holding my hands to provide comfort. 'I know we can do it. Believe me i have no intention of settling down with anyone else. Its just- theres a high chance we wont play for the same club together ever again, and that frightens me Keira. Your entering your prime years, your at the top of your game. And whilst its hard to admit im declining. My prime years are nothing but a memory anymore. Im going to have to begin thinking about retirement, and i really dont want to do that.' I reveal, opening myself up to her and being completely honest. I truly couldnt imagine my life without football, its all ive ever known. I dont think im ready to give it all up yet. 'Hey, i know for sure you've still got a few seasons left in you. Whilst you might not be in your prime years, your still playing unbelievably well Lucy. You start most games here, all games for England, your not done just yet. And whilst we may not play club level football together after this season, im so fucking grateful for the years we've had together. This is a new start for you. A new chapter in your life. In a way your life is just beginning.' she replies, trying to shine a positive perspective onto an emotional situation. 'You have a way with words you know that?' I laugh through tears, as I begin to reminisce on our memories playing together. 'English literature a level remember?' she replies back in the same manner, causing me to chuckle. 'Playing with you has been the greatest privilege. Watching you progress from a shy kid, into a confident young woman, and you've still got a good few years left in you.' i say, causing her eyes to tear up. 'Dont make me cry Lucy. Ive just had a lash lift.' she replies, looking up and fanning her eyes. Im laughing and crying at her. And i use the sleeve of my hoodie to stop the tears from falling. We are both a blubbering mess. But we are a blubbering mess together. We end up giving up on trying to stop her tears, and we both cry together. Our bodies tangled together, as if we cant be separated. 'I love you Lucy, and im so proud of everything you've achieved. Know ive always looked up to you.' she splutters between hiccups, trying to calm herself down. 'We are pathetic.' I say, finding it humerus at how emotional we've become, when usually we are quite skilled at controlling our feelings. 'Yeah, we are.' she agrees, holding onto me tighter. 'Lucky we love eachother, these poor people on the beach must think we are crazy sitting here crying.' I joke, Keira laughing in response. 'Fuck them.' She says, watching the sun disappear into the night. 'I second that.'

No matter what life threw at me, i knew i could get through it with Keira by my side. We would be okay. We had faced the worst side of long distance before. I know we can do it again.

Authors note:
- for some reason its not letting me type in bold text, oh well. i literally wrote this in 30 minutes, fuck knows how😭 i did see on twitter that barcelona want to renew lucys contract for another season but i dont know how true it is, so take it with a grain of salt. if its not true, dont come for me cause ill be as disappointed as you all lmfao. hope you enjoy x