23. They Don't Stand a Chance *

"Does this deafening silence mean nothing to no one but me?" ~ You Be The Anchor, Mayday Parade

Harry's p.o.v

"All students will return to their house common rooms by six o'clock in the evening. No student is to leave the dormitories after that time," McGonagall says as we all stand in Gryffindor Common Room, apart from Haylee, who disappeared after we saw Hermione in the hospital wing.

We think that she's gone back to Hermione in the infirmary, but we don't exactly know for sure...

But she's Halfblood, she's in no danger.

"You will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher. No student is to use the bathroom unaccompanied by a teacher. All further Quidditch training and matches are to be postponed. There will be no more evening activities."

She gives a slight sigh and rolls up the parchment she was holding.

"I need hardly add that I have rarely been so distressed," she speaks in a choked voice. "It is likely that the school will be closer unless the culprit behind these attacks is caught. I would urge anyone who thinks they might know anything about them I come foward."

She sighs again, and looks directly towards Ron, Tay and then me, looking conflicted.

"We fear that Haylee Potter and Asher Saunters are the latest victims of these attacks..."

My heart literally stops in my chest, and a choked noise leaves my mouth, while Tay looks dangerously pale.

"...if anyone has any idea of their whereabouts, I suggest you to also come foward."

With that, she climbs somewhat awkwardly out of the portrait hole, leaving me in shock.

Haylee...not Haylee.

She's my little sister, I'm meant to be there to protect her, not let her run off alone and crying.

"That's four Gryffindors down, not counting a Gryffindor ghost, one Ravenclaw and one Hufflepuff," Lee Jordon says counting on his fingers. "Haven't any of the teachers noticed that the Slytherins are all safe? Isn't it obvious all this stuff's coming from Slytherin? The heir of Slytherin, the monster of Slytherin - why don't they just chuck all the Slytherins out?" He roars, making a few people clap.

Percy on the other hand, is sitting behind Lee, looking pale and stunned.

"Percy's in shock," George tells me. "That Ravenclaw girl - Penelope Clearwater - she's a prefect. I don't think he thought the monster would dare attack a prefect. And you and Haylee, you're Halfbloods, and Asher is Pureblood, that just proves the monster isn't only after Muggleborns."

I nod, although I'm barely listening; all I can see is Hermione's motionless body, and the fact that Haylee and Asher could be in the same state.

"What're we going to do?" Ron says quietly in mine and Tay's ears. "D'you think they suspect Hagrid?"

"We've got to go and talk to him," I say instantly. "I can't believe it's him this time, but if he set the monster loose last time, he'll know how to get inside the Chamber of Secrets, and that's a start."

"But McGonagall said we've got to stay in our tower unless we're in class..." Tay says, her voice sounding slightly hoarse.

"I think," I begin, lowering my voice even more. "It's time to get my dad's old cloak out again."

*~*

The journey to Hagrid's wasn't exactly uneventful, especially because we had to explain to Tay how Haylee and I got a cloak of invisibility.