26. The Chamber of Secrets *

"We tried so hard to understand, but we can't" ~ All We Know, Paramore

Ron, Tay and I are sat in the Hospital Wing, coursing with excitement, hardly able to believe that we've figured it all out.

"This means," I begin, "that Haylee and it can't be the only Parselmouths in the school. The Heir of Slytherin's one too. That's how they've been controlling the Basilisk."

"What're we going to do?" Ron asks, his eyes flashing. "Shall we go straight to McGonagall?"

"Let's go to the staff room," I say, jumping to my feet. "She'll be there in ten minutes, it's nearly break."

The three of us run downstairs, straight into the deserted staff room - not wanting to be caught hanging in the corridors again.

Too excited to sit down, the three of us pace, awaiting arrival.

But the bell to signal break never comes;

Instead, McGonagall's magically magnified voice appears;
"All students to return to their house dormitories at once. All teachers return to the staff room. Immeadiately, please."

"Not another attack? Shit, not now?" Tay says anxiously.
"What'll we do now?" Ron asks, aghast. "Go back to the dormitory?"

"No," I say, glancing around the room and catching sight of an ugly wardrobe in the corner. "In here. Let's hear what it's all about. Then we can tell them what we've found out."

We hide ourselves in the wardrobe - which is filled with cloaks - listening as the teachers arrived.

"It has happened," McGonagall's voice finally appears. "Three students have been taken by the monster. Right into the Chamber itself."

"How can you be sure?" Snape asks, as my heart pounds in my chest.

"The Heir of Slytherin," McGonagall says, "left another message. Right beneath the first one. 'Their skeletons will lie in the Chamber forever'."

"Which students?" Madam Hooch asks, sounding weak.

"Ginny Weasley," McGonagall says, and I feel Ron slide down onto the wardrobe floor.

"And?" Snape presses.

"Haylee Potter and Asher Saunters. They been in the Chamber this entire time," McGonagall answers solemnly.

My heart drops and my mouth goes dry

Haylee...why Haylee?

"We shall have to send all the students hole tomorrow," McGonagall continues. "This is the end of Hogwarts. Dumbledore always said..."

I hear the staff room door bang open, and Lockhart's irritating voice appears;

"So sorry - dozed off - what have I missed?"

"Just the man," Snape drawls. "The very man. Three students have been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Taken into the Chamber of Secrets itself. Your moment has come at last."

"That's right, Gilderoy," Professor Sprout chips in. "Weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the strange to the Chamber of Secrets is?"

"I - well, I -" Lockhart splutters.

"Yes, didn't you tell me you were sure you knew what was inside it?" Flitwick pipes up.

"D-did I? I don't recall..."

"I certainly remember you saying you were sorry you hadn't had a crack at the monster before Hagrid was arrested," Snape says. "Didn't you say the whole affair had been bungled, and that you should have been given free rein from the first?"