13. History is to Repeat Itself *

"I could really use a wish right now" ~ Airplanes, B.o.b feat. Hayley Williams

After hours of sleep, my eyes flicker open and I suppress a yawn, which turns into a quiet groan of pain.

Madam Pomfrey wasn't joking when she said this would be painful, as it currently feels as if my leg is full of large splinters.

"Get off!" I hear Harry suddenly shout. "Dobby!"

I turn my head in Harry's direction to see Dobby leaning over Harry's bed.

In the dim light of the room, I can see a tear streaming down Dobby's face. 

"Haylee and Harry Potter came back to school." He whispers miserably. "Dobby warned and warned Harry and Haylee Potter. Ah, sir and miss, why didn't you heed Dobby? why didn't Harry and Haylee Potter go back home when they missed the train?"

I push myself up onto my pillows, wincing at the pain it causes my leg.

"What're doing here?" I ask. "And how did you know we missed the train?"

Dobby's lip trembles and a look of realisation dawns on Harry's face.

"It was you!" He says slowly. "You stopped the barrier letting us through!"

"Indeed, yes, sir." Dobby says, nodding his head vigorously. Dobby hid and watched for Harry and Haylee and sealed the gateway and Dobby had to iron his hands afterwards-"

He holds up ten, long bandages fingers.

"-but Dobby didn't care, sir and miss, for he thought Harry and Haylee Potter were safe, and never did Dobby dream that Harry and Haylee Potter would get to school another way!"

He begins rocking backwards and forwards, shaking his head.

"Dobby was so shocked when he heard Harry and Haylee Potter were back at Hogwarts, he let his master's dinner burn! Such a flogging Dobby never had, sir and miss..."

I slump back into my pillows and I hear Harry give a sigh.

"You nearly got Harry, Ron and I expelled." I say fiercely.

"You'd better clear off before my bones come back, Dobby, or I might strangle you." Harry adds furiously.

Dobby smiles weakly and speaks;
"Dobby is use to death threats, sir. Dobby gets them five times a day at home."

Dobby blows his nose on the corner of his filthy tunic, looking so pathetic that I feel my anger fade away.

"Why d'you wear that thing, Dobby?" I ask curiously.

"This, miss?" Dobby says, plucking at the tunic. "Tis a mark of the house-elf's enslavement, miss. Dobby can only be freed if his masters present him with clothes. The family is careful not to pass Dobby even a sock, miss, for then he would be free to leave their house forever."

He wipes his leaking eyes, and suddenly speaks, "Harry and Haylee Potter must go home! Dobby thought his Bludgers would be enough to make-"

"Your Bludgers?" I exclaim angrily. "What d'you mean, your Bludgers? You made those Bludgers try to kill us?"

"Not kill you, sir and miss, never kill you!" Dobby says, shocked. "Dobby wants to save Harry and Haylee Potter's lives! Better sent home, grievously injured, than remain here! Dobby only wanted Harry and Haylee Potter hurt enough to be sent home!"

"Oh, is that all?" Harry snaps. "I don't suppose you're going to tell us why you wanted us sent home in pieces?"

"Ah, if Harry and Haylee Potter only knew!" Dobby groans, tears slipping down his face again.