16. Self Doubt *

"My lungs gave out as I faced the crowd" ~ Therapy, All Time Low

I lay in my four poster bed, not able to find sleep. The events that happened today have shaken me to my core.

Could Harry and I be descendants of Salazar Slytherin?

We don't know anything about our dad's family, so we very well could be.

Why else would we know how to speak Parseltongue?

But then again, why could the Sorting Hat place us in Gryffindor if we have Slytherin blood?

"But the Sorting Hat wanted to place you in Slytherin," a sickening voice in the back of my head says.

The Sorting Hat's words replay in my head repeatively, making my stomach churn anxiously.

'You have a darkness about you.'

'You would do remarkably well in Slytherin.'

I push back the covers of my bed and slowly walk from the dormitory out into the cold, dark, empty common room.

I sit on the lounge and bring my knee up against my chest.

"Maybe I do belong in Slytherin after all." I whisper to myself, looking around the scarlet and gold common room, decorated with numerous lions, imagining how different my life could be if the banners were green.

The sound of bare feet against the floor appears, and I turn to see Hermione walking towards me, wrapped up in a dressing gown.

"Haylee, what's wrong?" She asks groggily, siting beside me.

"I just couldn't sleep." I murmur.
"Haylee, listen to me," she says, "I'm sure that you and Harry aren't descendants of Salazar Slytherin. I'm sorry for even mentioning it in the first place."

"It's fine."

"Think about it, Hayles, why would the Sorting Hat place you in Gryffindor if you were related to Salazar Slytherin?" She persists.

"But I was almost placed in Slytherin, Hermione, that's the thing." I admit to her. "And maybe I should have been."

"Haylee, you don't belong in Slytherin, okay? You're too brave and kind and friendly to ever be placed in Slytherin." She reassures me.

"I attacked Pansy Parkinson today, did you know? I literally tackled her to the ground. That's not brave or kind...it was a horrible thing to do..." I trail off, giving Hermione a sad look. "No wonder the Sorting Hat told me that I have a 'darkness about me'."

"Haylee-"

"I can talk to snakes, Hermione! What more proof is there!" I cry, running my hands through my thick hair.

"Haylee, you can believe what you want to believe, but you're a Gryffindor at heart, everyone knows it. Tomorrow you and Harry can find Justin and explain to him that you were helping him...you can sort all this out." Hermione whispers.

"We're best friends, Haylee, and I promise you that you are in now way a Slytherin."

"I think we're more like sisters, Mione." I whisper gratefully.

*~*

I've looked all around for Justin today, and neither Harry or I can find him.

To make matters worse, many of the students are now convinced that Harry and I are both  Heirs of Slytherin.

"I'll see you back in the common room." I tell Harry, Ron, Tay and Hermione, before setting off to find Justin.

I need to make this right.