11. Salazar's Chamber *

"I'm a loose bolt of a complete machine" ~ Disloyal Band of Water Buffaloes, Fall Out Boy

"Can I have your attention please?" McGonagall says, raising from her seat in the Transfiguration classroom.

It is only a few days since we found Flich's cat, and everybody is still on edge.

"Right. Now, today, we will be transforming animals into water goblets." McGonagall explains to us, standing beside a strange looking bird, which I assume she is going to transfigure.

"Like so." She says, brandishing her wand from inside her emerald green robes.

"One, two, three. Vera Verto."

She lightly taps her wand against the bird, and in a smooth motion it transforms into a glass goblet.

"Now it's your turn. Who would like to go first?" She says, walking down the middle of the class, and stopping at Ron and Harry's table.

"Mr. Weasley. 'One, two, three. Vera Verto'."

Nodding confidently, Ron pulls out his broken wand, and points it at Scabbers.

"Vera Verto!" He says, tapping his wand against Scabbers.

An ugly noise comes from Ron's wand, and Scabbers squeals as a spark hits him.

He then transforms into a very small, furry goblet. Scabbers tail is still in tact, attached to the bottom of the goblet.

Many of us laugh, as Ron picks up the goblet, looking disappointed and confused.

"That wand needs replacing, Mr. Weasley." McGonagall says curtly, as Hermione raises her hand.

"Yes, Miss Granger?"

"Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets?" Hermione asks from beside me.

"Very well." McGonagall sighs slightly, looking around at us with a strange expression.

"You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin. Now, three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not."

"Three guesses who." I snigger, earning a few stifled laughs, and many death glares from the Slytherin students.

McGonagall looks at me and nods her head, edited continuing;

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, Purebloods." She continues, slowly walking back and forth around the room.

"Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true Heir returned to the school. The Heir alone would be able to open the Chamber and unleash the horror within, and by so doing purge the school of those who in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic." McGonagall pauses, taking a breath.

"Muggleborns." Mione says quietly, making McGonagall nod again.

"Naturally, the school has been searched many times. No such chamber has been found." McGonagall continues, making me feel somewhat better about the situation.

"Professor? What is actually in the chamber?" Tay inquires curiously.

"The chamber is said to be home to something that only the Heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home of a monster." McGonagall replies grimly, before dismissing us.

The five of us walk outside from the class, all of us a mix of intrigued and terrified.

"Do you think it's true? Do you think there really is a Chamber of Secrets?" Ron asks us.

"Yes. Couldn't you tell? McGonagall's worried. All the teachers are." Hermione replies.

"But then, if there really is a Chamber of Secrets, as it has been opened, that means--"

"The Heir of Slytherin has returned to Hogwarts," Tay cuts Harry off. "The question is, who is it?"

"Let's think." Ron pipes up. "Who do we know who thinks all Muggleborns are scum?"

"If you're talking about Malfoy--" I begin through a sigh.

"Of course! You heard him. 'You'll be next, Mudbloods'." Ron exclaims.

"I heard him." I say briskly. "But Malfoy, the Heir of Slytherin?"

"Maybe Ron's right, Haylee. I mean, look at his family. The whole lot of have been in Slytherin for centuries." Harry says.

"Crabbe and Goyal must know. Maybe we could trick them into telling." Ron suggusts.

"Even they aren't that thick." Hermione scoffs, before a bright look appears on her face. "But there might be another way."

We stop walking, all of us listening carefully to Mione.

"Mind you, it would be difficult. Not to mention we'd be breaking about fifty school rules. And it'll be dangerous. Very dangerous." She warns us.

With that, she takes us to the library, and she begins scanning through the shelves.

She pulls out a book titled 'Most Potent Potions' and opens it up.

"Here it is. Polyjuice Potion." She tells us. "Properly brewed, the Polyjuice Potion allows the drinker to transform himself temporarily into the physical form of another."

"You mean if Harry and I drink that stuff, we'll turn into Crabbe and Goyle?" Ron asks.

"Yes."

"Wicked! Malfoy will tell us anything."

"Exactly." Hermione says. "But it's tricky. I've never seen a more complicated potion."

"How long will it take to make?" Tay questions, leaning over Hermione's shoulder slighty.

"A month."

"A month?" Harry speaks up. "But, Hermione, if Malfoy is the Heir of Slytherin he could attack half the Muggleborns in the school by then."

"I know." Hermione says grimly. "But it's the only plan we've got."

"So the potion will be ready around the Christmas holidays then?" Tay asks, sounding a little disappointed.

"Yes, why? What's wrong?" Hermione replies.

"I won't be here. My parents want Asher and I home for Christmas." She explains, frowning. "I won't be able to help you guys."

"It's okay." Harry reassures her. "We'll tell you anything we learn."

"So..." Ron asks, after a few short moments of silence. "...who are you two switching into?"

"I'm not too sure about me..." Hermione replies. "...but Haylee can turn into Pansy Parkinson."

"Ugh! Pug-Face-Parkinson!" I complain. "How does one even pretend to be Pansy? She's just so...ugh!"

"Just pretend to be madly in love with Malfoy."

________________________________________________________

Two in one day :)