Chapter Twenty-Three - Change

NOAH BLAKE

"Alright, dad." I place both of my hands on top of his, "I have to go now."

My dad has been stable over the last three months. He is getting weaker, but keeping consistent with his health. We figured he should be declining towards January in the colder months since there will be less heat.

"You come to visit on weekends, okay?" My dad smiles.

I nod, "of course." I kiss his seek, "I'll be home every six to eight weeks to keep updated about the proposal and reservoir too."

He nods and ushers me out of the house. I see Coden and Maddie waiting in the car for me, Coden gets out to help me with my bags. There isn't much to pack since I didn't have much to begin with, but I have clothes, some hygiene products, and anything else I want to bring.

Coden takes the two bags from me and places them in the trunk of his car. I see him wave to my dad and nod to him "You take care of my little girl!" My dad yells to Coden.

"I will, don't worry about her." Coden opens the backdoor and pushes me in, "you listen to him, Noah."

I internally roll my eyes, "I will dad, I love you."

"I love you, sweetie."

Coden walks around to the front and hops in. We drive with the windows down for a while letting the fresh air come through.

Maddie came back to pick me up since she started the Summer program up there. Andrew, unfortunately, decided not to come with us, he wants to stay here to support his family. I understand that, that's exactly why I am going to school.

The two of them have been going strong since they started dating almost a year ago. They make each other happy and it makes me happy they are together.

Speaking of being together and happiness, Avery and I are done. I haven't spoken to him since that day on the hill, I've seen him twice since then though. Coden was in the relative area, so Avery didn't try anything.

Coden has been looking out for me over the Summer months, he checks up on me, and allows me to work on the reservoir proposals with him, and the four of us hang out sometimes of Maddie is in town. The majority of the Summer was either spent on the proposal and the contract work for it or taking care of my dad. Everyone in the camp has been helping out, from checking in to picking up extra shifts to fill in the gaps.

The bruising and scratches have all faded from my body and since Avery and I broke up, Coden has been helping me cope with what happened. Maddie has also been encouraging me to tell my parents or even to report it, but it's in the past, and with my dad being sick, it isn't anything to worry about.

I have my friends who love and support me and vice versa. If anything, I feel safe and happy with my life right now. Still, sometimes I have bad dreams or I get self-conscious, but I am working on validating myself. This is going to be a good year, I know it will be.

By the time we arrive, some of our housemates have already moved in. There is Laney, Amber, and Cara who are staying with us. Maddie and I are sharing a room, Laney and Amber are sharing a room, and Cara gets her room. We didn't care who got their room, Maddie and I are actually excited we get to share a room.

Over the next few weeks, I am happily in tune with my new schedule. It is certainly a different pace with the curriculum and different cultures out here. I never knew such difference within the western camps could exist, but I am enjoying it.

I got approved for the final planning project for the reservoir and I am supposed to head back this weekend. Coden is coming to get me and will be my personal tour guide of the reservoir while I am back home.