4

Thor has been wondering much about Loki's life during the time he was living in Midgard with Jane. Once they returned to Asgard, he had seen his brother on the throne as his father, but they spoke little and Loki's acting skills were exceptional. Maintaining the illusion had to have been exhausting. But he had done it and done it well. Loki had ignored Thor entirely, which had been exactly what Thor had wanted.

But there were gaps in his knowledge, times when things made sense only that he now knew who had been sitting on the throne. Thor had gone off adventuring after Jane's death. It was on his return that he had found a raging Odin in the throne room. He had managed to get from his father that Loki had been on the throne for years through deception and brute force and he had woken only after the spell was lifted and Loki was far away. Odin, though, had the clarity of thought to determine that he was too weak to continue to rule Asgard well. He had crowned his son and then Thor had gone to find Loki, leaving Sif and the Warriors Three to rule as a council of stewards in his absence. Odin had not been pleased. There was much yelling after Thor delivered Loki to the infirmary. And Thor had simply left the argument. He had seen little need to listen to the continual stream of defamations against Loki. He had thought Loki dead for years. To find out he was alive and yet to leave him alone was not possible. Not for Thor, at least.

As he walks back from the infirmary, he ponders Loki's confession and wonders who told him. Who told the prince in captivity that his mother was dead? His friends had been with him and he did not order the news to be passed to the dungeons. He knows it was not his father. Odin thought of nothing in those hours but Frigga.

He wanders to see Heimdall. Perhaps he saw.

Heimdall is keeping watch, as always, when he arrives, "Good day, Watcher."

"Good day, my King. What brings you to my chambers?"

"A question."

"Oh?"

"Of a moment years ago. I do not know where your eyes were focused, but perhaps you can tell me. Who was it who thought Loki ought to know of our mother's death?"

"I was watching so much then. But I think I can answer you. While it was a guard who brought him the news, it was your wife who thought to ask that he be told. She wanted to tell him herself, but she did not know the way and the guard she asked to carry the message would not take her with him."

"Jane? But she had not met him. And she only knew of him from his destruction in Midgard."

"She was a far better woman than most. You know how she valued family above so much else."

"Yes, both blood and built, as she said."

"Can you not see how she would consider it critical that Loki know of his mother's death, even though he was not of the same blood?"

"Yes, I can. Thank you, Heimdall."

"You are ever welcome, Thor."

Thor leaves. He has much to think about. There is something special to knowing that his wife considered the feelings of his imprisoned brother when he could not. That she wanted to tell him herself. That sticks particularly in Thor's mind. She wanted to tell him herself. Thor sighs. He misses her. She was always so thoughtful and gentle. He thinks that perhaps it will do Loki good to know that she thought kindly of him long before Thor had told her stories of their youth and had made the effort to introduce her to his brother and their life before Jotunheim. He will tell Loki tomorrow. For now, Loki has enough to think about without one more emotion to muddle him.