Heart to Heart

Lumen runs into the room and sees me and Clove. He scoffs. "Toni, I think you're overreacting" he turns to Clove. "She's overreacting" he says to her.

"I don't know. She seems pretty shaken up to me" Clove responds, twirling her knife in her hand, not taking her eyes off him.

"Go to bed, Three" she says, threateningly.

He puts his hands up in mock defense and turns to leave.

"Oh. And you're out of the alliance" she says to him.

He turns back around. "What did you say to me?" he asks, trying to seem intimidating.

But no one is more intimidating than Clove. "I said, 'Go to bed, Three'" she repeats.

He huffs and leaves the room.

Once he's out of earshot, I talk to her.

"Clove, thank you so much. It's just that he—" I try to explain what happened but tears keep coming out.

Damnit why do I have to be so weak in front of her.

She seems to not know how to deal with me.

Her face appears conflicted, but she speaks up.

"Hey, it's none of my business" she says, implying that I didn't have to tell her.

"So why are you down here so late?" I ask, wiping my face dry.

"Just couldn't sleep, I guess" she said, hesitant to talk to me.

"What, are you too excited?" I joke.

She scoffs. "Careers aren't all monsters, you know. I get nervous the same as you" she says.

I smile in response.

She rolls her eyes. "So, Three. Are you just gonna stand there, or are you gonna show me what you learned today?" she asks, handing me a knife.

"Are we even allowed to be here this late?" I ask. Clove just shrugs.

I go up to the targets and do exactly what she taught me earlier.

She scoffs. "You're crazy, Toni. You know it took me years to learn how to do that" she says.

"Right now I'm just picturing that asshole's face on all the targets" I joke, with a hint of sincerity.

She chuckles. "Hey, if I ever get him in that arena, I'll save you the kill" she says.

"Thanks?" I say, reminded of the situation we were in.

After we do some knife drills, we sneak into the rope section and I show her a few of the knots I learned earlier.

"It seems I've misjudged you, three. You're more useful than the lot of district one" she jokes, giving me a fist bump.

"Woah, what's up with that?" she asks, pointing to my hand.

"Oh this? It's just a scar. Guess I learned the hard way not to mess with too much electricity" I laugh.

"Oh good, I thought it was rope burn from tying that rope" she responds, with a sense of relief.

I scoff. "Can't injure me that easily, Clove" I say.

"You got any?" I ask her.

"Uh yeah, just a few knife scars here and there" she says, lifting up her shirt to reveal a huge scar on the side of her torso.

"Beat that, Hart" she challenges jokingly.

"Pretty sick, but I think I've got you beat" I say, taking my shirt off so she could see my back.