Return

Beetee and I step off the train and back into our home, district 3.

I see the school I went to. It was sort of an arena, in and of itself. Always fighting to be the best, so I wouldn't have to work in the factories like most of us did.

"Go get your family. We'll move them into the Victor's Village" Beetee says, softly.

I nod and walk him to my old home. It was nighttime, so they should all be home.

We reach the house and I think before heading in.

I wonder how it'd feel walking back into this house, which is now the only reminder of my life before the Games.

Would I feel right at home again? Like nothing had happened? I think for a moment that that would be ideal, but then I remember that I don't want to forget the Games. Not completely, at least.

I walk up to the door and hesitate.

What would they think of me? Of what I'd done and what they'd seen me do on live TV? What am I even asking?

This is my family I'm talking about. They'd never see me as a monster for doing what I had to do to survive. Would they?

"Don't think too much, sweetie. Just open the door. Any good family would be happy you're alive" Beetee says next to me, giving me the assurance I needed.

I sigh. "Right" I say, shaking off my negative feelings. I knock on the door.

"Moommm" I hear Nathan's voice.

"Nathan, I'm cooking. You get the door" my mother orders.

"Uughhh. I just got back from work" I can almost hear his eyes rolling as he gets his lazy ass up.

I turn to Beetee and chuckle at my family's antics, not even realizing the tears going down my eyes. I guess I didn't realize how much I really missed them.

Beetee smiles and laughs with me.

Then I hear the locks disengage and the door open.

"Hello?— Oh my god!" My brother's annoyed voice changes to one of shock.

"Hi Nate" I say with teary eyes, wondering how he'd react to my return.

He seems to just stand there in shock. But once it passes, he quickly engulfs me in a hug.

I breathe out a breath of relief onto his shoulder and aggressively return the hug, as if I was making sure he was real.

I hear him cry behind me. "I knew you could do it"

"Toni? Is that really you?" I hear my mother's voice as she and dad run into the room.

I pull out of my brother's hug and nod at my mom.

"Yeah Mommy, it's me" I cry as she and dad bring me into their embrace.

I pull out of their hugs and say, "I missed you guys", with a slight chuckle, as I subconsciously tried to cover up how much I really missed them.

I look over to Beetee.

"Oh, guys. This is my mentor, Beetee" I introduce him.

He waves awkwardly.

"Thank you for taking care of our baby" my dad says, bringing me in for a side hug and ruffling my hair.

"Okay, okay!" I laugh and push him off.

"Does anyone else smell burning?" Beetee asks.

"Oh crap!" my mom exclaims, running back to the kitchen.

"There goes dinner" she laughs, after putting out the fire.

"Don't worry about that. We're moving you guys into Victor's Village" Beetee says.

"Wow, okay. Let's go pack our stuff guys" says mom. The three of them go to pack.

"I'll go pack some clothes too" I say to Beetee, though they've provided me with a new wardrobe.

He nods and I go find my room. Well really it was the room that Ben and I shared. My twin's side was still preserved. I made sure of it.

I smile as I look at Ben's bed and turn to my closet.

"I miss him too" says my older brother behind me, making me jump.

"Jesus Christ, Nate! Don't scare me like that" I scold him.

He puts his hands up in mock defense. "What? Can't a brother say he misses his little brother Benji" he asks.

Ben's full name was Benjamin. Our parents picked very strange names for us. Antoinette, Benjamin, and Nathaniel. Very different than the usually names in these parts, which usually related to technology.

Our names were almost Capitol-esque. When our parents had their first kid, people warned them against the name Nathaniel, saying it might seem like an act of rebellion.

Our parents simply said they liked the name. And when they had two more kids, they named us strangely as well.

I once wondered if that was the reason Ben got reaped, but quickly shook it off. You can't blame my parents for not name their kids after a radio.

I stop thinking and respond to Nathan.

"Of course he can, but not if he's scaring me in the process" I scold him after my long pause.

"You do remember I just got out of a death game, right?" I remind him, but start to feel bad about bringing it up.

"I knooowww" he comes up to me and gives me another hug.

"Ughh get off me" I complain.

"You were so brave in there" he says, jokingly shaking me in his arms.

I laugh. "Okay, okay! Now get off" I yell.

"And I'm sorry about Clove" he says. I look at him in confusion.

"What? You can't fool your big brother. I could see how much you liked that girl" he says.

"Yeah, well that girl was dead in my arms, on what feels like a day ago to me. So can we just.. not talk about it?" I say, not feeling ready to fully confront her death.

He puts his hands up in defense. "Alright, alright. I'm done packing. Let me help" he says, coming over to my closet.

I sigh. "Sorry for being a bitch" I say. I could tell he was trying to be extra friendly with me.

"It's fine. You're allowed to be bitchy right now. You just got out of a death game" he repeats my words back to me.

I laugh at his words. "Thanks, Nate"