Reaping

I tuned out of the boring video of Snow they play every year at the Reaping.

"Wonderful. Now, the time has come for us to select one courageous young man and woman for the honor of representing District 3 in the 74th Annual Hunger Games. As usual, ladies first." says Celene, cute as ever.

Oblivious as ever to the horrors of the Capitol, though maybe less than she was a year ago.

She puts her hand in the bowl and draws a piece of paper, carefully opening it.

"Electra Monet" she reads.

The camera pans to a thin brunette, around age 14, who seems to be quite nervous but trying to hide it. Almost reminds me of, well, me.

She walks up to the stage and there are no volunteers. Much like my year.

"Lovely girl. Now for the boys" she says, drawing a name from the other bowl.

"Chip Newton" she reads.

Now the camera pans to a young boy, who looked like he barely made the age cutoff of 12 years old. Poor kid.

I see commotion in the girls crowd, with a crying girl reaching for her brother and being closed in by peacekeepers.

Must be his sister. And she can't even volunteer for him because he's a boy. I know what that feels like.

It seems history repeats itself. Yet this time, something new seems to be happening.

A woman in the crowd lifts three fingers up, a sign of solidarity and rebellion in the districts. Soon, others follows suite, while the peacekeepers try to stop it.

The camera pans to Beetee and I, and as much as we want, we don't dare to raise our hands.

But it's different this time than it was when it happened to me and Ben. It seems rebellion is finally catching in 3.

Beetee and I say goodbye to our families and head into the train.

"What are we gonna do? They're so young this year. They don't stand a chance" I say.

"Well, there are good years and bad years for us, Toni. Most kids in 3 have never even touched a weapon before. Last year, we got lucky. It's just how it works" says Beetee, with a sigh.

"Just don't get attached" he says. I scoff.

"Drink?" he says, pointing to a wine bottle.

I chuckle. "Sure, but I'll never understand why Capitol people love this stuff so much. Tastes like hell" I say, pouring myself a glass.

"Give it a few years and you'll understand" he jokes.

I laugh at him. "But seriously Beetee. You've been doing this a while. Do they have a chance at all?" I ask.

"You know probabilities, Toni. There's always a chance. Few years ago, a small girl named Annie Cresta lucked out because her arena got flooded and she was the only one who could swim" he tells me.

"Oh yeah, Fin's girl. So what, maybe the arena will suddenly have a math test and our kids will be the only ones who know math?" I joke, morbidly.

"You know what I mean, Toni" says Beetee.

"Oh, there you two are. Time to meet the tributes!" Celene barges in and grabs us.

We follow her into another room on the train, reminding me of when I met Beetee, last year.

"Now tributes, here are your mentors. Antoinette Hart, who you might remember from last year" she introduces me.

"Call me Toni" I say, shaking their hands.