•17•. A Helping Hand

You were running through the forest, your feet carrying you faster than you assumed they would.

Your chest heaved, with every large breath you took in, your thighs were heating up, your face glistened with sweat, but you had to keep running.

"Ara~" You hear a woman's voice, guide you through the forest.

You turn to look at her, and saw no one. But you continued hearing honey-like, voice, speak venomous words. How ironic.

"Are you running from a demon, miss?" The voice asks.

You kept turning around to hear the voice, but soon got back to running, giving up.

Just then, you heard a loud thud, and for a split second, you caught of a glimpse of a white haori, blended into hues of blue and pink, covered in black lines, representing the veins on the wings of a butterfly.

You gather your courage, and turn around to see a woman with short hair, wearing the same haori you saw, a purple butterfly clip in her hair, and holding a needle-like sword. Her back was facing your direction.

She slowly turns around, spinning her sword as she stood over the corpse of the demon you were running from. The corpse had purple lines all over their body, as  if something as injected into their bloodstream. The woman smiled a gentle, merciful smile at you.

"There. You're all safe now." She smiled at you.

"T-Thank you..." You bowed down to her, showing her your respect and gratitude for saving your life.

"No need to thank me. It's my job as a Demon Slayer. A Hashira at that."

That's when you notice her uniform, with the iconic golden buttons, donned by the Hashiras alone. The highest ranking Slayers at the Demon Slayer Corps.

Her eyes closed as she smiled at you again, Holding her sword with style, as she introduced herself.

"Demon Slayer Corps, Insect Hashira, Shinobu Kocho." 

You look at her in awe, as she gracefully sheathed her sword. 

"What can I do for you, Ms. Kocho? To thank you...'

 She politely refuses, before asking you a question.

"What brings you in this forest, at this time of the night? You are aware of the threat of demons lurking around, aren't you?"

You didn't have a reply for her question, so you just looked at her, eyes searching for hope in hers.

"I... had some urgent matters to attend to..." You replied, avoiding eye contact with her.

She looked at you, with suspicion, before handing you a small cloth with food wrapped inside.

"Here. You must be exhausted with all that running.." She said, getting ready to leave.

"Ms. Kocho!"  You called out to her.

She turned around. You thank her once again, before asking her

"You're a Demon Slayer aren't you? Have you seen my brother? He's also a Demon Slayer.. His name is Kenzo.. He hasn't returned home in days... the last time I saw him was when he left to Mount Natagumo for a mission..." You asked

She blinks a little, thinking..

'I have not heard of him, nor do I know where he is right now.. but, I am going to  Mount Natagumo right now. I just happened to notice you in distress, and came over...' She says

You pursue your lips in worry.

"Can I come with you?" 

"Sorry?"

"Can I come with you to Mount Natagumo, to find my brother...."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N : MONSTER  (2004) REFERENCE INTENDED HEHEHE I HAVE BEEN WATCHING  THAT RECENTLY

Anyways, to explain

This chapter and future chapters go on in the Taisho era. (1912 - 1926)

It will be the same, unless mentioned.