•18• Anticipation

"Can I come with you to Mount Natagumo?.. To find my brother...."

Shinobu Kocho had never encountered such a statement before. As she stood under the shadows of the tall trees above them, you fiddled, expecting an answer from her. You really wished for her to accept, in order to finally see your brother.

"I am afraid I will have to refuse."

You gulped. You expected this.

"It's too dangerous for you, miss." She continued.

"Please! Lady Kocho! I really have to see my brother!"

"We are going to face demons on our way."

"I can handle myself!"

"You were running away from an unranked demon right now, what makes you think you can escape if we happen to encounter a Demon Moon?" She says, venom trickling from her honey sweet voice.

You stood there, seriously contemplating your choice, before asking again.
"Please.. I haven't seen him in weeks..."

"I have made myself clear, haven't I? It's too dangerous for you.." She sighed.

"As a Hashira, it is my duty to protect you. I have made myself clear."

"Lady Kocho... Try to understand..."

She turned around, seemingly uninterested in continuing the conversation, as she had matters to attend to.

"I understand well what the loss of a sibling feels like..." She whispers to herself, before taking off, her butterfly haori fluttering behind her quick steps.

You stood in the forest, solely, and completely alone. Or were you?

A rustle behind a few bushes was heard, but before you could even turn around to see what it was, you felt a sudden feeling of serenity, and cool, comforting waters embracing your body, as you slowly opened your eyes from your dreamlike state to see a headless demon fall to its feet, and a man in his 20s sheath his sword.

He simply turns around, looks at you, bows and leaves, not interested in engaging in conversation with you.

"You..."

He stops.

"You're a Hashira aren't you?" You slowly ask.

He turns around to face you, with no expression on his face. You pursue your lips at the sight of his monotonous face. You had to admit, he was handsome, although a smile would suit him better.

"Why ask?" He asks, in a low voice.

"Umm.."

"Please refrain from wasting my time." He says again, clearly bothered by the interruption.

"Can I..."

"Can I join the Demon Slayer Corps?"

His eyes widen, and eyebrows arch. He quickly regained his composure, and cleared his throat.

"Why do you intend on joining the Corps?"

"I need a purpose..." You say.

He stares at you in confusion, when you slowly walk toward him, trying to convince him.

"You see, my whole family abandoned me and my brother. We have been fending for ourselves from then. Not long ago, he joined the Corps, and went missing while on a mission in Mount Natagumo. If I can't protect my brother, the least I could do, was protect my people from the cruelties he must have endured due to demons.."

"Mount Natagumo...." He says to himself.

"A few lower rank Slayers were sent there, however upon the news of the supposed presence of a Demon Moon, the Hashira were dispatched. Let's try your luck."

You smile.

"However, please do not misunderstand. I will not be taking you with me."

Your smile drops.

"It is for your own safety, as a Hashira, it is my duty to look out for the welfare of the people."

"I understand..." You nod your head downwards...

"SISTER!!!!! RUN!!!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N : 💖 cliffhanger 💖