Part 2

Nora

Wrong. I was so wrong and so insanely nervous, sitting across the table from some of the biggest names in sports medicine. More specifically - the Arsenal medical staff. And you would think my nerves would be caused by this insanely good offer they had laid out on the paper in front of me. But no, it was because of a certain woman on the Arsenal team. The same team I was to be the new physio of.

The news that Rose was leaving had circulated for quite some time and I didn't quite believe it to be true until Jonas himself told me that the position would be opening up and that I should apply. So I did. Two weeks before the festival. And I waited and waited some more and when no email came, I figured they'd gone for someone else.

So realistically, what would I have said to Katie. Oh by the way, I applied for a job at Arsenal but I don't think I got it so yeah, nice meeting you? That would've come off all wrong. Like I'd only slept with her so she'd put in a good word for me or something. So I hadn't said anything and then two days later got the call for an interview and now here I was, pretending to read through the pulled up contract while three sets of eyes stared at me.

Okay, they were actually all talking about next week's game in a not-so-subtle way of giving me space and time to look over the pages.

"The salary is, of course, negotiable," Gary, the head of the sports medicine department, said with a kind smile. The mentioned salary was already triple to what I was making so he was mistaken to assume that I was pondering over that. 

Instead I was trying to create some sorts of a list in my head. Positive - an amazing team with amazing opportunities to grow in my field. Negatives - I fucked their defender. Positives - Jonas works here. Negatives - She's gonna be pissed to find out that I work here. Positives - lots of travel opportunities. Negatives - .. . I was all out of those.

"Everything looks great." The smile on my face was so well faked that I almost convinced myself it was real.

___

"So I know you're officially starting on Monday, but I have a team meeting in ten and was hoping to introduce you ahead of time?" Jonas said casually, his accent thick. I was used to it so I had no problem understanding him. I did currently have a problem responding. I'd thought that I would have enough time to prepare for the absolute awkwardness of seeing McCabe again.

And yes, I had adopted a surname use in my brain - seemed more impersonal. Maybe that would help erase the images of her naked body from my mind.

And now I was thinking of it again.

"Hey, you okay? You've been weirdly quiet, it's very unlike you," Jonas stopped in the hallway and turned to face me, laughter sparkling up his eyes. Usually it felt nice to have someone that knew me so well. Right now it was inconvenient.

"Yeah, just.. surprised still I think. I really thought they were gonna go for someone else," I played it off and kept walking so he wouldn't have the chance to read the truth from my eyes.

"Well I told you that you were the best qualified. I promise I had nothing to do with you getting hired. No place for nepotism here, the stakes are high."

I smirked at that, seeing as nepotism was exactly what led me to the job offer in the first place. But I guess not knowing Jonas would've simply meant that I would've applied a few days later, once the offer went out to the public.

"This is a great opportunity," I reused the same line my overworking brain had produced earlier. Still managed to sell it with a smile though. At least Jonas didn't ask anything but instead looked at me expectantly. We had arrived at a door and behind it was the room for team meetings. I had to make a decision. 

Best to get it out of the way then. "Yeah, I have some time so.. let's meet the team!"

__

Most of the players pouring into the room didn't pay me any attention. I was stood by the wall, looking everywhere else but at the women walking in and I guess it was a good enough disguise. Katie walked right past me without even seeing that anyone was standing there. Kyra and Alessia were two people that gave me a few glances, turning to talk amongst themselves. Caitlin looked at me once but I didn't see any recognition on her face.

I guess she was also more focused on Katie at the festival and didn't pay any mind to the random woman she walked away with. Thank god for that at least. I did notice that Caitlin and Katie sat at the literal opposite ends of the room so it seemed that they hadn't patched things up. 

McCabe was looking down at her phone which gave me a chance to peek at her from behind my blonde locks falling in front of my face. Maybe she wouldn't recognize me either. We did have quite a few drinks and my hair was up in a bun. But I didn't dare test that theory so when she slid her phone in her pocket, I fixed my eyes back on the big screen and away from the players.

I found myself zoning out while Jonas did the introduction to the meeting. Once Rose's name was mentioned though, I knew what was coming and blinked a few times as he reached out a hand towards me. Here we go.

"And to fill the spot, we have someone I consider a sister joining the team. And once again, I promise that us knowing each other had nothing to do with this new hire," Jonas laughed, having already listed off some of my most important credentials and experience. 

"Nora Hughes, welcome to the team!" He said as I pushed myself away from the wall and walked up next to him, finally turning to fully face the room full of women. Everyone clapped as a welcome. Everyone except one person. I guess she did recognize me, damnit. 

_____

Btw, I don't tend to read through for spellchecking sooo I'm sorry if any occur. And comments are appreciated, the more you pester me, the quicker I'll write!