Part 26

Nora

We'd moved from the couch to the bedroom at some point, taking advantage of Katie's massive bed. Cooking wasn't really in the plans for the night, instead we'd ordered some Nando's that she was currently downstairs grabbing. I was on my phone, checking for the fourth time that my account was safe and nothing had popped up again.

I'd also texted my brother some more, he was fairly concerned since he knew me the best and could easily assume what was going on in my brain. And there was definitely a lot going on. But most of it melted away at the sight of Katie and the delicious smell of our food.

"Are we really gonna pig out and eat in bed?" I asked, unsure if that was the best idea considering the light shade of her bedding.

But Katie was already getting undressed, throwing the sweatpants she'd pulled on for the delivery onto a chair by the window. The shirt stayed on for now and it was probably best or she'd be my dinner and dessert.

"I'm not moving from this bed and neither are you," Katie said decidedly and grabbed a throw blanket, laying it out in front of us before placing the food bags on it. That was definitely easier to wash up so I nodded in agreement before starting to go through everything we'd gotten to find my order.

"So," she started unceremoniously, making me smirk. She had a habit of starting important discussions like that. "Scale of one to ten, how freaked out are you?" 

I nudged her with my shoulder, laughing softly. What a way to word it huh. "Considerably less now, but still like.. a solid six?" I thought it over. "I think it's mostly the unknown of what's gonna happen. I'm not exactly used to this."

"This meaning being in a public relationship? People talking about you and such?" Katie specified. She had grabbed her food and was already going at it. We had both worked up an appetite, but my hand froze in the air at the casual mention of a relationship.

"I guess it's all of that yeah. I don't like knowing that people are gonna be closely looking at everything we do and posting about it. Feels very uncomfortable," I nodded eventually. "And well.. The public defining what's going on between us before we could is also.. not so fun."

"I'm really sorry about all of this. And I'm definitely going to try and find out who even leaked that video. I mean, it was a private event," Katie sighed. I hated that she was taking the blame for it though.

"I guess something like this was bound to happen eventually, I just didn't expect it to be so aggressive or for those questions and comments to pop up before I even knew what to say," I shrugged, thinking back on that deer in the headlights moment. Not my finest, that's for sure.

Katie seemed deep in thought, evident by the way her hand with a forkful of food had paused before reaching her mouth. After a few moments she put the fork down fully and got out of bed, careful not to tip any of the containers over.

"I thought neither of us were moving from bed?" I protested, watching as she walked over to the dresser in front of the bed.

Katie shot me a clever smirk over her shoulder. "I make the rules so I can also bend them to my will," she said matter-of-factly, pulling the top drawer open. I couldn't tell what she took out since she carefully hid it behind her as she walked back towards the bed.

"Arrogant as always," I rolled my eyes.

"You like it," she shot back immediately, causing me to smile involuntarily. She wasn't wrong about that one.

Katie got back in bed, both of us eyeing the food to make sure nothing spilled as the mattress shifted under her. She turned slightly towards me and I felt my heartbeat quicken, not knowing what to expect here.

Knowing Katie, it could be anything from a house key to a sex toy. My cheeks flushed a little at the thought just as she brought what she was holding forward.

And then my cheeks flushed even more, but this time mostly from nerves.

"Calm down, I'm not asking you to marry me," she poked fun at me, taking one of my hands and placing the velvety box onto my palm. It was definitely in the right size for either a ring or... earrings?

Katie looked at me and I looked at the box and we were both quiet for a moment. I could tell that she was anxious for me to open it but also giving me a moment to collect myself. 

But her eyes still burned holes into my hands so eventually I gave in and opened the small box, biting into my lip nervously. I released the tender skin from between my teeth with a small gasp as I realized what this was.

"Katie.." I whispered softly, at a loss for words.

"I know we agreed on baby steps. But I've had this for a bit and well.. It feels right. I want you to be mine and now that everyone knows anyway, I just don't want to wait and hide and.." she rambled before stopping herself and taking a deep breath.

I simply blinked as Katie slowly lifted the claddagh ring from the box and took my right hand in hers, gazing into my eyes until I looked back into hers.

"Nora, would you like to be my girlfriend? And wear this as a symbol of my feelings for you?" she asked finally, her eyes big and full of uncertainty.

It was honestly the sweetest sight I'd witnessed, the quiet pleading in her eyes as her hand shook ever so lightly, holding the ring between her fingers.

I couldn't have said no even if I wanted to. 

"I would love that," I said instead and watched as Katie was silent for half a second before the realisation of what I'd said hit her and she smiled the widest smile yet. 

She immediately pulled me in for a kiss and I laughed as the bed dipped. "Careful of the food!" I reminded between soft kisses. Katie didn't seem to care about that at all, only pulling away eventually to actually place the ring on my finger. It was a perfect fit which made me wonder how she'd gotten my correct sizing. In my sleep?

The design was the same to Katie's own ring and my eyes flicked between the two for a few moments before realizing the error here. Taking her hand now, I slid her ring off to flip it around and put it back on.

Katie looked down at our joined hands, with rings identically placed now, and sighed happily. "I feel like Christmas came early this year or something," she laughed softly, looking at me like she'd truly just unwrapped the gift she'd asked from Santa.

I tilted my head to the side, placing a hand on her cheek and smiling when she immediately relaxed against it. The holidays were usually a painful time. An annual reminder of the family I'd lost, even when the ones I still had, tried their hardest to cheer me up.

I had a feeling this Christmas would be a lot better.