Part 17

Katie

Turns out that pretending to be buddies with the woman you'd heard moaning your name wasn't the easiest. It was one thing to have actually moved on from a relationship. Take me and Caitlin for example, we weren't best friends or even close friends by no means but we had gotten to a point where bygones were bygones and we got along well enough.

It was definitely different with Nora.

I'd let Beth's complaints go in from one ear and out the other and promised the couple that we would be civil. So naturally, I had to keep up with that promise. So we had some smalltalk during warmup in addition to me asking Nora about stretching a specific muscle that was more tense than others.

And I tried breathing extra calm when she placed her hand on my thigh during one of the exercises to make sure I was doing it right. No big deal, just my hormones going absolutely crazy at the smallest touch.

But Nora looked completely unbothered so I tried to be as well. 

I luckily managed to avoid getting hurt this game too. And so did the others which meant that Nora could watch the whole game from the comfort of the seats, her long legs covered with a blanket. My head was actually in the game for once so I only snuck a look at her a few times.

And now we were back on the bus and she sat opposite of me, staring down the cards in her hands. So yes. Perfectly normal, excruciatingly hard. 

I honestly would've preferred for her to be sat next to me so I wouldn't be faced with her every single time I looked up. But of course Beth's hand was in the mix again. Vivianne was asleep in her seat so Beth had grabbed Jen and the four of us were now playing a hand of poker.

They probably already had a few ideas on what the loser would have to do or the winner would get and I was quite scared of both of those so I was aiming for second place.

That was until I got the worst hand possible, a random mix of cards that I could barely make a crappy pair out of. "Yeah no, I fold," I shook my head, earning a nudge from my left side. 

"That means you lose," Beth informed me, sounding very pleased with herself.

"I win," Nora said matter-of-factly, showcasing her royal flush on the tabletop between us and both Jen and Beth groaned since their cards were also subpar. Not as bad as mine though.

"Alright, let me hear it," I sighed, fighting a smirk that wanted to appear on my lips.

Beth just looked so pleased with herself, looking at me and then Nora. "Well I think the winner should choose what she wants to do to you."

It took a stern look from me and a shocked one from Nora for Beth to correct herself. "I meant.. what she wants you to do," she laughed, clearly having meant it exactly as she'd said it the first time.

Jen started laughing to, the innuendo hitting her a bit late. Which also caught the attention of Alessia who was across the aisle from us. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing, Less. Just getting bullied over here," I rolled my eyes and nudged Beth, almost pushing her out of her seat.

"You probably deserve it," Alessia replied and I feigned shock. She wasn't exactly wrong, I was usually the one playfully bullying others, but still! 

"Stop ganging up on me!" I turned to look at Nora, hoping for at least her to be on my side since we were sort of both the victims of the joke. But that traitor was laughing too.

And I couldn't look away. 

Her eyes were glimmering as she wiped at the corners, her soft and plump lips curved upwards in a wide smile. And just as I allowed my thoughts to get the tiniest bit carried away, she met my eyes.

We both stared at each other for a few seconds before I cracked and looked away. "Okay, what's my punishment," I finally gave in. It was only fair, I had lost.

Nora thought for a few beats and then this wicked smile appeared on her face and I already knew I was in trouble.

"I will choose a dance you gotta learn and make a tiktok video of. To post," she said, looking mighty pleased with herself. And before I could protest, she added: "No, me and Beth will!"

Beth next to me cracked up in laughter again. 

"Why does she get to be in on this? She didn't even come second!" I argued, pointing at the cards. Jen's were better but she just raised her hands and shook her head, wanting nothing to do with this argument.

"Because I'm too nice and Beth is too brutal so we'll balance each other out and choose a good one," Nora laughed and accepted a high five from Beth.

"It's okay, I'm a pro at this. I'll help you learn it," Jen chimed in, backing me up. 

I was not a dancer by no means and just the thought of how widely that video would spread.. Oh god. But I was also not a sore loser. For the most part. So eventually I reached my hand out, getting deja vu from the motion. "Okay, you have a deal."

That same tingly feeling was still there when our hands met and I had to mentally count to three to let go at a proper time. Or I never would have.

___

Bit of a shorter one, I just wanted to make a filler chapter before the next one that I actually have mapped out in my head. Hope you still enjoyed it tho! And I also have no clue how long I'll make this fic but I get a feeling it's gonna start wrapping up soon so if you have any ideas for another one, I'd be happy to hear them!