Part 19

Katie

I got back to the table just in time, the music was turned down and the first person took the podium for a welcoming speech. Lotte and Steph had made it to our table in my absence and I smiled at both of them.

Beth tugged my arm just as I sat down, making me lean in closer. "You missed all the introductions! That guy's name is Oliver and he's Nora's-" I stopped her with a shake of my head, adjusting myself in my seat.

"I don't need to hear this," I simply said, effectively cutting Beth off, and turned my attention to whatever was said in the speech that I was already missing. Which was not interesting at all, but better than hearing the words 'Nora's boyfriend'. Or whatever state that budding relationship was in.

__

We'd gotten through the speeches and the first two courses without any hiccups. And by that I meant that I'd barely glanced in her direction. Leah and Beth had kept me busy enough on both sides, thank god.

The band was taking the stage now as there was a small break before dessert. And of course, as soon as the first song started playing, Nora's boy toy invited her to dance. And my eyes failed me, trailing in their direction, taking note of how his hand was grazing her waist.

It was an upbeat song and most people were just doing the usual two-step. But of course not them. Jonas actually turned around in his seat to watch, as if he knew what was about to happen. While me and some of the girls stared surprised as the couple glided along the dancefloor in an effortless way that had to have been the result of some serious dance lessons.

Nora seemed to be really enjoying herself, seemingly laughing as Oliver guided her in.. jive? Quickstep? All my knowledge came from 'Dancing with the stars' so I wasn't really sure.

The song ended and I didn't know whether to be sad that I could no longer watch the very entertaining performance or happy because it meant he let go of her hand as they walked back to the table.

Nora was still laughing and shook her head when a few people from ours and the table next to us applauded the couple. "Oh, please don't make me more embarrassed, I already wanna punch Ollie for making me do that."

Ollie. The nickname stirred something uncomfortable up inside of me.

"No you don't, you love me," he smirked in return and I nearly gagged. So they'd been together for a while then. Great. Was it all a lie?

"Excuse me," I managed to mumble as I stood from my chair, ignoring Beth's hand trying to pull me back.

"Katie, don't.." Viv also tried calling after me before turning to her girlfriend and saying something about 'it not being funny' that I didn't understand in this context.

I just knew I needed space away from the loving couple and everyone's stares. I quickly weaved my way through the tables and exited the room, pacing down the hallway. It was quiet here, only a few people walking to or back from the restrooms. I could breathe here.

Or apparently not since the doors opened and closed behind me and I could sense someone walking up to me. Assuming it was Viv, I plastered a smile on my face and turned, the phrase 'I'm fine' almost escaping me.

Almost. Cause I lost my voice momentarily, coming face to face with Nora.

"Are you okay?" she asked, her voice soft and full of concern. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to figure out a way to sound about ten times less jealous than I felt.

"You should go back in there," I shook my head, turning to stare at one of the paintings on the wall. You couldn't have paid me to say what was actually illustrated there, my mind was way too confused and distracted to take any of it in.