Part 18

Katie

It was the evening of our annual Christmas party, just a few weeks shy of the actual holiday celebrations. I would spend Christmas in Dublin with my family but I'd still stuck around in the city for this. This year they wanted to do it all fancy so it was actually called a end of year gala which meant that I was stuck in a long black dress and a pair of heels.

At least there was free alcohol, the glass currently in my hand was some sort of a gin-based cocktail and we'd already had our welcome glass of champagne. Beth and Viv, both equally stunning, were talking amongst themselves and I was looking around the room, trying to see how many of the team had showed up already.

It was technically still early, we'd somehow managed not to be late. There would be some time at the beginning for everyone to mingle before the official dinner part happened. And then everyone could let loose and party the night away, which is what I was looking forward to the most.

A group of the men's team arrived and I lifted my glass when a few of them waved in our direction. Behind them came Jonas, his wife on his arm. And next to them.. Nora.

I think I actually stopped breathing for a few seconds too long cause all of a sudden I felt dizzy. Her blonde locks were in an updo, giving me a perfect view of her delicate neck and jawline. Her deep red dress looked velvety and had a very nice neckline - flattering but still appropriate. The fabric hugged her in all the right places and when she took a few steps, I could see her toned thigh peeking out from a slit in the skirt of the dress.

I was brought back to Earth by Viv's elbow touching my ribs a tad too strong, causing me to jerk and for my drink almost to spill over. "You look like you're undressing her with your eyes, can you be less obvious please," she laughed, leaning close to me, her tone quiet.

"I am not," I protested although well.. Now I was definitely thinking of everything underneath that fabric. But I just couldn't look away. At least until a man I didn't recognize caught up with her, offering his arm that she took with a smile. I watched as they leaned closer to each other, Nora telling him something that caused him to laugh.

The way they looked at each other stirred something up inside of me. Was this the actual reason? She had found someone else? Or maybe she'd been dating him all along. Maybe he didn't know. Or didn't care. Some men gave their girlfriends free passes when it came to other women. 

The thought made me angry and I took a large sip of my drink, wincing when it hit the back of my throat. The bartender had been quite heavy-handed.

"Do you know who that guy is?" I couldn't help but ask, interrupting whatever conversation Viv and Beth were having. They exchanged a look that didn't go unnoticed by me.

"By the look on your face I'd say.. your murder victim?" Beth joked and I shot her a look.

Leah came up to us then and I shoved all the negative emotions down, plastering a smile on my face as I gave her a warm hug. "Looking gorgeous, as always."

"Back at you, ladies," Leah sent a smile to all of us and grabbed a glass of champagne from a waiter walking by. "Should we go find our table?" she offered.

A lot more people were starting to show up now so it probably was a wise idea to scope out the room before it got too busy. So I nodded and offered her my arm which she took, laughing playfully at the gesture. 

We followed the crowd to the main hall, filled with circular tables and fancy christmas decorations. Waiters were walking around there too, offering drinks to anyone who wanted. On the stage was a podium which meant there would be speeches. And behind it a full set up for a live band. 

All the seats held name cards and we walked around in a group, scanning the names until we saw a few familiar faces already sat down. Caitlin for example was already at one of the tables and I smiled as a hello, not really wanting to go over to chat. "I think you're the next table over," she offered helpfully, pointing over her shoulder to a table that already had a few people.

And as my luck would have it, Nora just had to be one of them. With that.. guy next to her. They were leaning close to each other again, heads almost touching as they were mid conversation and didn't even notice us walking up to the table.

At least not until Leah's "here we are!" caught their attention. Both Jonas and the guy stood politely as we all said our hellos and found our respective seats.

Mine was perfectly between Leah and Beth so it was more than likely I would get comments about Nora the whole night. With that in mind, I finished my drink, setting the empty glass down on the table.

I could feel her eyes on me so I looked up, catching her staring. Well I guess I did look pretty good myself. But nothing could compare to her. Everything about the way she looked tonight was even more breathtaking up close, only a few seats separating us. From this angle I could also see that the dress dipped low on her back.

I let my eyes linger for a bit before my thoughts were interrupted by her date getting up. And of course, had had to put his hand on her shoulder once he did, leaning in to tell her something. The music wasn't even that loud, all that leaning in close was so unnecessary. 

My emotions were definitely getting the better of me so instead I averted my gaze, focusing now on more of our teammates joining us. Alessia and Kyra took the two empty chairs between Leah and Jonas, leaving just a few more empty seats on the other side, between Viv and Nora's date. 

I had half a mind not to peek at his name card and google the crap out of that dude. But what good would it have done. Either way, Nora wasn't interested in anything more than friendship between us and I had to suck it up.

"I'm gonna go say hi to a few more people," I told Leah with a smile and got up from the table. I had a few more minutes before the official part started and I'd much rather spend it anywhere but there.

With no real destination in mind, I walked away from the table.