Part 5

Nora

Even though I'd been a physio in the football world for almost ten years now, walking out with the team before a match still felt daunting. We had spent the week going through different emergency assistance scenarios, doing some one-on-one work with injured players and preparing for the game that was now just an hour away. 

Our medical equipment was all set up, the headset stuck in my ear and a seat was waiting for me with a blanket since it was a fairly chilly afternoon. November had still been kind to us so far and at least there was a good amount of sun. Apparently enough of it for McCabe who was the only one in shorts and a shirt while others had their warmer kits on.

I shuddered just from looking at her and turned my eyes away, walking over to another player. Beth was in the starting lineup exactly a year after her ACL injury and I could tell she was a bit nervous. They had agreed to keep her in for only part of the game, the duration of which was to be determined when she was actually on. It was important to give her the confidence of starting again and staying out for quite some time but we also couldn't overwork her body.

"Let's do some dynamic movements," I offered, coming to a stop next to the woman who smiled gratefully at me. 

The rest of the team were still gathering, some stretching already and some having final sips of their sports drinks. Me and Beth moved down the field side by side, her mimicking the exercises I showed her. I was too focused on her movements to notice someone sneaking up behind us.

It was only when something very cold touched my neck, and by the sounds next to me - Beth's too, that I turned to look at Katie, a mischievous smile playing on her lips, some snow still melting in her hands. Leave it to her to find some on a perfectly clean pitch. 

"Oh you're so gonna get payback for this," I laughed, wiping over the back of my neck, the melted snow still cold under my fingers.

"You wouldn't dare," McCabe laughed some more, returning to the rest of the team. Her words were cocky but it sure looked like she was escaping just in case.

I shook my head in laughter and motioned Beth to go over there too, seeing as the team was starting their group warm ups. A quick look to my watch said that we only had forty five minutes to go and the nerves were definitely settling in.

"So what are the odds of cards for tonight," I asked Jonas, sitting down next to him. At least this pitch had put some money on the team and staff bench. These chairs were comfortable.

"Well, Brighton isn't known for being super aggressive but they will be itching for some points so I think there will be a few. And well, with Katie starting, there's always a good chance of that happening," Jonas laughed.

Ah yes, Katie McCard. The woman's reputation preceded her and I'd also been an eyewitness to quite a few of those cards. But from the safety of the stands and not from here, where I was expected to treat any of her injuries. Which in itself was something I knew well. It was just the fact that it was Katie that made it a bit more difficult.

Even though we'd come to a silent agreement on being professional, she still loved to push my buttons in trainings. Never enough for anyone else to notice, at least I hoped not. But just the casual flirty comments or lingering touches. Enough to send my head spinning. 

It was confusing but I stopped myself from really thinking too much into it. Besides, she seemed to be that way with a lot of people on the team, just always cracking jokes and pushing people's buttons in a friendly and teasing way.

My eyes moved over to Lia and Caitlin who were holding onto each other's arms for balance as they did some leg swings. From what I'd seen, they were still just friendly so I guess what happened at the festival was just a momentary lapse in judgement and not an old relationship being rebuilt.

Not that any of this was any of my business. I shook my head clear of my thoughts and turned to Jonas once more, looking over the game strategy with him just to keep my brain busy with something else.

__

We were in the lead and so far the game had been pretty chill from my point of view. I'd been out on the pitch once just to check out Stina, after a collision with a defender had her laying down for a bit longer than usual. But she ultimately just needed a little breather so the game continued soon enough.

It wasn't until the 50th minute that a head-to-elbow impact made us all wince. I was up immediately, grabbing my bag and waiting for the ref's permission to enter the field. Luckily it was given quickly and both me and the team doctor rushed over to check out Katie. The other player was down too but seemed to be doing a bit better compared to McCabe who was holding her head and laying on her side.

Of course it had to be her getting the worst of it.

"Hey, let's get you on your back, okay?" I warned her before slowly moving her to our desired position. Some of the girls gathered around us, partly to grab some drinks but also to check out if their captain was okay. 

"She fucking hit me right on the temple." Katie's accent was thick from frustration but it honestly made me relieved to hear it. Actually remembering what had happened that precisely was the good sign we were looking for. She was also looking around and didn't seem to squint to the light which was another positive.

Since this was more the doctor's field of expertise, I was simply handing him things and able to relax a bit more. When I'd seen her go down, the initial shock of adrenaline got me up and moving but now kneeling next to the woman, reality sunk in. This could've been a really bad injury. A bit more force, just an inch to the side and she would've passed out. But she didn't and I was trying to focus on that.

"Your thick skull can handle it," I said instead, patting her on the shoulder before helping her sit up. She shot me a look that was probably meant to be angry but looked rather amused instead.

"Any nausea or dizziness?" the doc asked, gaining her attention. She seemed to think about her answer for a minute, looking around the field to maybe test it out, before shaking her head.

"Nah, I'm fine. Put me back in."

The ref walked over now, to see what was happening and what the plan was. Me and the doctor exchanged one look before he shook his head. "You're getting switched out, we're not risking it."

I said the news to Jonas over the headset and repeated the same to the ref who nodded in agreement. Even though Katie seemed fine, head injuries were no joke and besides, she was gonna get subbed out a bit later anyway.

"This is stupid, I'm fine," McCabe still argued but allowed us to help her up. She called over Lotte and gave her the captain's armband with a few encouraging words while we packed up our bag. 

The crowd cheered and applauded whilst we walked off and Katie waved at them, a wide smile on her face. Naturally, she refused any help from us and proudly got off the pitch herself before Jonas walked over and she actually admitted to feeling dizzy. That stubborn goddamn woman.

And I had to just watch helplessly as her and the doc walked inside to check her out further while I sunk back into my seat and tried to shake off the horrible feeling of seeing her hurt. It wouldn't be the last time that happened and I needed to get used to it. She was just another player under my care.

________

I am purposely veering away from the actual events since it would be wayy too complicated to keep up with the actual games and everything. I'll try and put some logic into it with how far into the competitions they are and everything, but obviously the actual gameplay and injuries etc will be fictional for some *dramatic flair*.