Prologue

There's a Spotify playlist for this book! Link is under my conversation board:)

Also, this is a Coriolanus Love story it's just a bit of a slow burn.

Should I change this to first person?

Her vision was cloudy, and her ears were ringing. Screams of pain could be heard from afar, moaning and groaning for help. But she was useless. Her blonde hair was now nearly black from the soot and dirt that was floating in her air, blood soaked through her shirt, but no injury could be seen. She grunted in pain with every movement, pushing herself up from the ground.

There were cars flipped upside down and on fire, buildings were crumbling before her eyesight, and in the distance, she could see them. They had their faces covered in bandanas and large guns in their grip, shooting anything in sight.

"Come on," Athena mumbled, trying to get herself to move before they spotted her. The pain eventually faded away as the bitter cold numbed her skin; she managed to push herself up on her feet and run across the destroyed street and behind a pillar.

She pressed her back against the cold stone and slid to the ground, shaking. She couldn't tell if it was from the cold or the fear. She tugged her jacket over her fingers, trying to warm them, but nothing protected them from the sharp, cold air. Even her tears began to freeze on her cheeks, causing them to sting.

BANG. She flinched with each sound of the gunfire.

"Hey," she heard someone aggressively whisper. She lifted her head to see a blonde girl and a boy. They had their heads popping out of a large back door, waving her to come in.

Athena felt her heart skip a beat; she looked behind the pillar to ensure it was safe before running to the door.

The two kids were quick to grab her and quietly slammed the door.

"Are you okay?" The boy whispered. Athena didn't answer; she couldn't. The warm hair was warming her up, and the adrenaline rush was fading. The pain was settling in.

"She's hurt, Coryo," The girl whispered softly. Athena felt faint; her vision was still blurry, and it felt almost as if it was swaying.

"Catch her," but it was too late; she was already crashing to the floor. She could hear the kids cry out, but their words were unknown. She could feel herself trying to catch her breath in panic, but her vision faded as she became unconscious.

𓆚𓆚𓆚𓆚𓆚𓆚𓆚𓆚𓆚𓆚𓆚𓆚

When Athena woke up, she noticed she was lying on a mattress tucked in the corner of the room. The room was dark except for the single candle lit by the bed and the light from the slightly opened door.

Athena felt much better than she had before she fainted. She was changed into an oversized shirt and loose pants that nearly fell off her when she stood up. Her hair and skin were dirty, but wearing clean clothes was nice.