Chapter Seven

The pain was running up her side as she groaned, cradling her head; the blast had knocked her to the ground

The pain was running up her side as she groaned, cradling her head; the blast had knocked her to the ground. She found it hard to breathe as she dodged a piece of concrete that fell from the ceiling. She could hear some people crying in pain and screaming, but no words could be comprehended. She could see some tributes running for the gate through her blurry vision. Athena tried to get up but felt dizzy as all the blood rushed to her brain.

"Athena," Treech ran to her in panic and helped her up. When she was on her feet and her vision cleared, she looked at the worried look on Treech's face. His hand was tightly gripping her upper arm, trying his best to keep her steady, and he pulled back her dirty hair to inspect her head for any damages.

"Run," she pushed him. He gave her a disbelief look and instantly started to protest.

"This is your only chance, RUN," she yelled. He looked between her and the door, conflicted.  He grabbed her and kissed her cheek in thanks before running.

Feeling satisfied, Athena observed her surroundings. The Arena was destroyed. To her side, she saw Corionalus Snow pinned underneath burning rubble. He was reaching out, trying to grab anything that could give him a grip to pull him out from underneath, but he wouldn't budge.

Athena flinched to the mortifying sound of a gunshot firing.

"Shit," she cursed, running towards him. From afar, she could see Lucy Gray debating whether to help him. She looked towards the tunnel, yearning for freedom, but the painful look on Corionaluss's face when she looked back at him. She couldn't just leave him.

She ran over to Athena and pushed the metal off of him. The two girls' muscles ached as they used all their strength to move it. The metal budged, and they managed to set the boy free. Lucy went to check on him, but the guards pilled in and grabbed her before she got the chance. 

Athena grabbed Coriolanus' arms, trying to get him to stand up. His eyes were unfocused, and he pawed at her grip. It seemed like he was trying to help her but couldn't. It only took a few more seconds before his eyes rolled to the back of his head and his eyes closed; the small amount of help he was doing stopped, causing her to drop him.

"Help me," Athena yelled to one of the guards. He lowered his gun and helped Athena carry her classmate out of the crumbling Arena.

Once she got in the car, she cradled his head onto her lap and unconsciously ran her fingers through his blond hair. It was surprisingly soft. His breathing was uneven, and his face was scrunched up in pain.

"Come on, Coryo," she muttered, looking out the window to see how close they were to the hospital.

"Are we almost there?" Athena nearly yelled up to the driver. The driver turned sharply, causing Athena's already sore arm to slam into the side and Coriolanus groan in pain.

"Watch it," she screamed. She tightened her hold on Coriolanus, trying to keep him still. The driver waved her off, dismissing her yelling. When they pulled into the hospital, a few dozen doctors and nurses were already waiting for them instantly separating the two and escorting them into the building.

"Is he going to be okay?" Athena asked the nurse as she sat her down on a bed. The nurse ignored her and started to inspect her injuries.

Athena's hands were stained with blood, and she couldn't tell if it was hers or Coriolanus. She didn't remember hitting herself= but there was a moment of shock when the bombs first when off. It reminded her of the war.

"I'm fine," Athena snapped, yanking her hand away from the older nurse.

"I have to check," the nurse softly said, but Athena refused to let her touch her. Nurse Rose huffed in annoyance, giving the girl a stern glare.

"Nothing hit me; I just fell to the ground," Athena argued, clenching the hospital bed sheets in her hand.

"Athena, let her check on you." In the doorway was her father. He seemed stressed.

"Fine." she laid down and let them check her over. The nurse checked all her vitals and wanted to keep her at the hospital for a few hours before releasing her.

"Is Coriolanus okay?" she asked her father eagerly, sitting at the end of the bed.

"Unfortunately. Just a few burns." Athena gave him a disapproving glare.

"And Treech?" there was a moment of silence, and Athena feared he was dead.

"Still hasn't been found." Athena felt her body relax. She silently prayed that he got away.

"Athena?" She diverted her gaze back to her father, who had a severe look on his face.

"Yes?" He rubbed his chin briefly before sitting beside her on the bed.

"Did you tell that boy to run?" her father's stern eyes searched hers. She wanted to say no; it was the more straightforward thing to say, but the truth came tumbling.

"Yes," her father's eye twitched, and his hand grabbed hers tightly.

"Listen here, do not speak to anyone; it's treason. The Capital will see it as a rebellion, and I can't have anything happening to you," Athena felt herself soften at his words. Of course, he was worried about her.

"I'll be fine," Athena reassured.

"I hope," he stressed before clearing his throat, "I have a few things to take off for the games; I'll be back to pick you up, okay?" Athena nodded. He gave her a weak smile and got on his tippy toes to kiss her on the cheek before leaving.

A few hours passed, the sun set, and the hospital began to quieten down. Athena got tired and anxious and decided to see where Coriolanus was.

When she found him, he was lying in a bed, still unconscious. She had seen Tigris and Sejanus wandering around, so she knew they were somewhere in the hospital.

Athena let her hands dance over the cold railing of his bed, then the blankets, before she sat down at the end of his bed, observing him. He seemed a lot better.

After a few minutes, he began to stir; he groaned, bringing his hand up to his forehead instantly.

"Lucy Gray?" his voice was raspy.

"She's alive." Coriolanus's head snapped towards her; he was surprised.

'You saved me?" he seemed more confused than anything.

"Couldn't let a pretty face like yours be hurt now, could I," she joked, shaking her head. He smiled at her slightly, but the confused look remained evident.

Athena sighed and got up from the bed, "I just wanted to see if you were still alive," Athena went to leave, but Coriolanus's hand grasped her wrist, stopping her.

Athena could feel herself tense up; his hand was soft and warm. The two made eye contact, and slowly, Coriolanus's fingers intertwined with hers, giving it a tight squeeze.

"Thank you," he said softly, and for once, Athena could see that he genuinely meant it. She smiled.

"Now we are even," she let go of his hand and left his room. Coriolanus lay there in silence, his hands feeling cold and chest heavy.