Chapter Twenty - Three

I have a playlist that I listen to on repeat while I write this book! Link on my conversation board:)

I don't want to ruin anything, but I must put a warning. *mentions of suicide.* Please read with caution.

Athena wore black pants and a matching T-shirt when all the tributes were loaded into the truck. She was still determining where they were going, but knew it wasn't the games because they still had to do their interviews.

Athena finally got a good look at all the tributes. District one consisted of Azriel, a lean, muscular blond-haired boy, and Rose, a tiny brunette girl. The two sat side by side, observing the other tributes like Athena.

District two had Jason, a buff black-haired boy who seemed like he was of East Asian descent. He was holding onto one of the bars hanging from the ceiling, looking out the window. While Maple, a dark skinned girl sat in the corner, staring at her feet and not making contact with anyone.

District three, Fletch, a skinny 16-year-old shaking with fear, and Mist a strong-looking 17-year-old girl. 

District five, Alabastar and Halle.
District six, Neem and Sunny.
District Seven, Hudson and Dawn.
District Eight, Wolf and Ethelia.
District Nine, Eddy, and Chia.
District Ten, Tanz and Amara.
District Eleven, Torrance and Indigo.
District Twelve, Mitch and Dusk.

The car ride wasn't long before they came to an abrupt stop. The doors swung open, and Athena instantly shielded her eyes from the bright sunlight.

"Come on out," a Peacekeeper yelled, ushering all the tributes.

Once her eyes adjusted to the light, she couldn't help but gasp at what was before her—the old arena.

The Capitol clearly rebuilt the arena after the rebellion attack during the 10th Hunger Games.

Out by the gate stood all the mentors, including Coriolanus. He was wearing a Maroon suit with a white rose in his pocket.

"What's this?" Athena instantly asked when she was in earshot of Coriolanus.

"Training," he gestured towards the open gate. She could see multiple people standing in the arena. The worst part was the sidelines being filled with people.

"Training?" She raised an eyebrow at him.

"It's new; we provide you with instructors, and they teach you how to train for a few hours while everyone watches."

"Will you?" She asked.

"Will I what?"

"Will you be watching?" She elaborates, not tearing her eyes away from the instructors.

"Of course, always." She could feel his eyes on her, but she didn't look at him, knowing his intense blue eyes would make her blush.

She watched as every other tribute interacted with their mentor; only very few were victors.

"Why wasn't Mags my mentor?" Athena asked Coriolanus suddenly. She remembered Caspian saying that the winner of the 11th Hunger Games would be a mentor.

"Would you have learned anything from her?" Coriolanus asked.

"No," she trained Mag and has she has yet to surpass her master.

"That's why." The gates screeched open, and they all walked down the hallway, "Enjoy the Show" was nearly silent against the crowd's roar.

Athena's heart was pounding. The last time she was in the arena, she was attacked, and she killed someone.