Chapter Five

I have been reading the book, so I have been taking some of the dialogue so that we can get Snow's perspective on things better!

"Is there anything I can get you?" Athena was sitting down, leaning against the cold bars. Treech was sitting next to her on the other side, head leaning against the bar in defeat. He remained stone-faced, almost in a dream-like state. 

"Treech," he finally looked at her. Hazel eyes filled with anger and sorrow.

The pair were more off to the side rather than in the zoo's center as Coriolanus's show had brought a few more people from the Capital down to the park. Flickerman was back with his camera crew, recording every interaction.

"I'm just tired," he rubbed his hands together and breathed on them, trying to warm them up.

"Here," she removed her gloves and gave them to him. At first, he didn't take it; he stared at her startled before caving.

He softly took the gloves from her hands and put them on his red ones. She didn't find it that cold, but she knew that the nighttime and lack of proper clothing made it harder for them. 

"D-do you happen to have any more food?" Treech asked, peeking at her through his hat.

"I have another sandwich left if you want it," she pulled it out of her bag and handed the wrapped sandwich to him.

"Would you like some?" he asked, mouth already full of a large bite. She couldn't help but smile at him.

"That's okay; you need it more than I do."

"Thanks," he stuffed the rest into his mouth, coughing as he swallowed it nearly whole.

"Here," she laughed, handing him water. "Wash it all down," he drank nearly half of the bottle before setting it down.

"We are here at the Zoo with another student from the Academy; tell me dear, what is your name?" Athena didn't see Flickerman make his way to them, so both Treech and her were startled.

"I am Athena Brightsworth Highbottom, and this is my mysterious tribute, Treech." Treech tried to smile and wave at the camera, but it was pretty evident he was uncomfortable. He wasn't used to the audience like Lucy Gray.

"Do tell, are you feeding your tribute?" The mic was shoved into her face.

"I feed them every year," Flickerman grinned at her response.

"Surely, the Capital feeds them?" Treech laughed slightly at the man.

"For the record, I hadn't eaten in three days until Athena fed me," Treech spoke up, surprising Athena.

"Oh wow, that long?"

"Yes, feeding them is essential; the hunger games won't be fun if they are too weak to fight?" Athena grinned, sharing a knowing glance with Treech.